Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Felix_the_Cat
    • Aug 12 2012

which carb on a 1960 352 engine?

I just bought a 1960 T-Bird coupe. it's solid but the carb is pretty ****ed up.

and the rear throttle valves ain't working.

i looked around on ebay and found many autolite 4100 carbs. (which fit on the 1960 352 engine?) because they are listed for 58, and pre 61 and some for the galaxys.. are they different? or do they just got other jet-sizes?

or cause the vacuumhoses the problem with the throttle valves?

which carb would be the best choice?
    holley or edelbrock? or this autoline: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...6&partnum=C736
    or a rebuilt autolite 4100?

best regards from austria!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Just about all the 4100's are the same. Some have an extra vacuum port but that can be plugged. Some have a slightly different choke where the heat tube comes out a different place. As long as it's a 1:12 it will work. There's nothing wrong them when they are properly adjusted. They are also simple to rebuild if you want to do it yourself. For ease though an Edelbrock is the way to go if you want something that will work right out of the box. If you get the electric choke model you will have to add a wire for it and find power to feed it. I've never had very good luck with Holley's so that would be my last choice.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• LuckyJay
      • Jan 4 2007

I vote for the 4100, it's original!

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

which carb on a 1960 352 engine?

I also would vote for the Autolite 4100. I put an Edelbrock on mine, which is a good carb, but my linkage from the foot pedal accelerator to the carb had to be modified for it to work right. An Autolite 4100 should fit right on without any problems matching the linkage up I would think.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

This is the original 4100 carburetor that came on my car. Hopefully it will give you a better idea of which one to look for. I know Pony carbs sells and rebuilds them but not very cheap.

If by "rear" throttle valves you mean the secondaries - they are vacuum operated on the 4100 and it is a little difficult to make them work if you are just moving the throttle to full open while the car is standing still. Usually has to be under load or normal conditions as when you are driving down the road.

The kick down linkage is a little hard to adjust but I can imagine it would be even worse with a different carb. Probably are some folks here running different carbs that could help though.

The kits to rebuild the 4100 are fairly cheap but none that I know of contain the jet's. The jets get a little expensive if yours are in bad shape - they are difficult to tear up but it can be done. They need to be removed to clean under them during a rebuild.

Good luck and please post some pics of that Tbird in beautiful Austria!

Eric

Oh - just remembered - the fuel filter for the 4100 is no longer made but can still be found pretty cheap - usually on ebay etc. You can always just install an adapter on the carb and use any replacement filter.

Comment

• Daniel76Gordy
            • Jul 30 2012

Autolite 4100 Carburetor Rebuild

A great source for rebuilt carburetors, rebuild kits, parts and technical support is: Mike's Carburetor Parts, 5733 188th Ave SW, Rochester, WA 98579, phone 1.888.689.9758. Mike just completed rebuilding the Autolite 4100 carb for my 58 T-Bird and recorded videos of the entire process. You can see the excellantly video and detailed rebuild process on U-Tube. Mike is a very unique person who really knows carburetors and goes to great lengths to provide quality service and parts (made in the USA) to all of his customers.....I sent my carb to Mike's via USPS (large box rate) which worked just fine....should you contact Mike, please mention that Daniel Martin recommended you should use Mike's Carburetor Parts.

Originally posted by Felix_the_Cat
            I just bought a 1960 T-Bird coupe. it's solid but the carb is pretty ****ed up.

and the rear throttle valves ain't working.

i looked around on ebay and found many autolite 4100 carbs. (which fit on the 1960 352 engine?) because they are listed for 58, and pre 61 and some for the galaxys.. are they different? or do they just got other jet-sizes?

or cause the vacuumhoses the problem with the throttle valves?

which carb would be the best choice?
            holley or edelbrock? or this autoline: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...6&partnum=C736
            or a rebuilt autolite 4100?

best regards from austria!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎