No announcement yet.

Weird steering problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird steering problem

Was taking my 60 to the front end shop this morning for an alignment. Half way there the steering quit turning to the left. When I turn to the right I have pressure on the steering wheel, but to the left it just spins freely. The steering has been funny ever since I got the car.......

I am thinking the steering box is messed up ?? Or is there another connection from the steering wheel to the steering box that can strip out ?? I don't see a rag joint or any visible connection between the column and steering box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...................
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm assuming that you have power steering. It's possible that your control valve is bad. If the seals go bad you can lose pressure in one direction or the other. The fact that you say it turns freely leads me to believe that your gear box is the culprit though. You need to have someone turn the steering wheel while you watch the pitman arm to see if it moves in both directions.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

From the limited information you gave, I will assume you have manual steering (but you don't say, either way). This is a very RARE problem.

If you have manual steering, the box has been operating for a very long time with no lubrication.

Do NOT drive this car. Have it towed to a repair garage where the steering box can be internally inspected, then proceed from there. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Steering

Sorry Guys I am a little frustrated...It is power steering...
        The wheel will spin freely to the right with no effect on moving the tires.... Any tips on removing/replacing the gearbox ? Does the shaft have to be removed from the inside or can the box be unbolted and removed without removing the steering column ??

Sorry for all the questions but the illustrations I have are not very clear....

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The shop manual gives detailed instructions on how to remove the steering gear. In all the years of working on squarebirds I've never seen a gear box that worked in one direction only. That is certainly a strange one. I would still look at the pitman arm to make sure before I went through the trouble of removing the gear box.

John

Comment

• pcjr
            Apprentice
            • Aug 27 2012

Get it up to highway speed and whip the wheel from left to right repeatedly. Sorry, I just couldnt help myself! I have a steering box that is out of the car and disassembled. Let me have a look at the internals and see if there is anything that could cause this to happen.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Mixed information here. First it doesn't turn to the left, then the right... Regardless, don't drive it.

It could be as simple as a rotten rag joint. I'm fairly certain that your '60 is a similar set-up as my '64, and there is a rag joint between the steering box and the steering column shaft. To get it out, you'll need to partially remove the column, or remove the box.

The OE rag joint has cast ends riveted to a reinforced rubber donut. Once on your bench and in a vise you will need to drill out the rivets, replace the rubber and bolt it back together. Several vendors sell kits with these parts. Pay attention to assembly since the bolts only go in one way.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Squarebirds don't have a rag joint. It's a solid connection from the steering column to the gear box. That's what makes it so odd.

John

Comment

• Tbird1044
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jul 31 2012

Here's a picture of the steering box and shaft coming out of it. The shaft runs the full length of the steering column and the steering wheel attaches to the end of the shaft. The entire steering column slides over the shaft with no joint.
                  Nyles
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Yadkin
                    Banned
                    • Aug 11 2012

I still suspect that joint. There's has to be some provision for movement and angular change, either a universal type or constant velocity type joint. Easy enough to diagnose, just have someone turn the wheel while looking at what part isn't moving accordingly.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jul 31 2012

Trust us, there is no joint on a 60 Bird. It is one long shaft for the entire steering column that is integral with the steering box.
                      Nyles

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

My '59 Ford Galaxie and '55 Ford Customline have straight solid shafts with NO joints as well. Since the column housing is adjustable at the dash, there is no need for a joint. It's safer without one, but this needs to be a straight shot. Any deviation from 'straight' requires a joint. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Found the problem

First let me thank you guys for all your information. The gear box was drier than an Arizona desert. Hadn't had lube in I don't know when....It was driven this way and all the internals are damaged....The worm gear was worn to a point it would only mesh on right hand turns (sometimes).....When I tried to turn to the left it slipped by the gear and was basically doing nothing...Working now on replacement box...

It does have a solid shaft with no joint......Had to remove it all as one piece (that was fun)with the box coming out through the firewall...

With the pitman arm removed the rest of the steering worked fine..

Any suggestions on where to get a replacement box ??

Again, thanks for all your help.......Couldn't have done it without you !!

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Weird steering problem

Probably one of the best persons to ask about a replacement steering gear box for your '60 Squarebird is Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here. Carl has a lot of Squarebirds parts, and markets them all over the world. The last I heard, he also has Squarebird parts cars. Send him a Private Message and see if he can help. He will probably see your post in the morning, also. He is often on here. You might also check the Advertisements Forum and see which Tbird parts houses sell this box. But I bet they don't come cheap! Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                            The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                            Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                            https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I recommend contacting Carl as Ray suggested to see if he has a good used one. Your only other option is sending yours out to be rebuilt which is about $140-200 depending on what parts are needed. Here's the site to get yours rebuilt if you're interested.

John

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎