Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fomoco59
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 10 2005

Hmph... 6 F degrees and snowing here. Haven't even SEEN my 'Birds since November (kept in storage). A couple more weeks till they come home to the nest to thaw.
    sigpic
    Mike Lemmon
    '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• thunderbird61
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2 2007

well, then the Ignitor I and the flamethrower are ordered, can't wait to install it, hehe, wish me luck

/Ronny

Comment

• texastomeh
        Apprentice
        • Aug 28 2007

Well guys, I've got good news and I've got bad news!

The good news is that I finally got my SUMMIT dizzy & coil and new plugs and wires (as described in an earlier post below) installed.

The bad news is that I can not find a/the timing mark on the cranshaft pulley! I've got it running pretty good by setting the timing by guess.

The pointer is mounted where and as it should be, but for the life of me, I can not find ANYTHING on the pulley for it to align with. I guess that I will have to establish TDC and mark the pulley.

If I am just stupid and ANYONE knows how to find the existing timing mark for a '63 390 4V, PLEASE let me know.

'61 - Once I get the timing set "correctly", I give you a more detailed opinion on the dizzy & coil combo!!

Wish me luck!

texastomeh

Comment

• texastomeh
          Apprentice
          • Aug 28 2007

I GOOGLED "1963 Thunderbird Timing Mark" and found a forum posting with the following:

"I take a piece of sand paper and sand the edge of the damper, where the timing marks are located, while the engine is running. I do it from under the car. This cleans the edge where the timing marks are located and since the car is running you dont have to do much work, just hold the sand paper against the pully."

I will not comment any further!!!!

texastomeh (soon to be "nubby"(?))

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

Wow, that's brilliant. Maybe the last line was missing off that forum post: ...

"just hold the sand paper against the pully. Have the phone number for the paramedics nearby."

Who wrote that? 'Stumpy'?

I'm new to the 390 FE, but did have the same problem on my old 302W. I got piston #1 at exactly top dead centre on the compression stroke, then stuck a aftermarket timing tape on to the bottom pully, lining up TDC on the tape with the pointer. Once it was stuck in place I brush painted clear laquer over the top which sealed it. Timing was a cinch with black markings on the white tape.
            Obviously with various size balancers you'd have to get a FE specific timing tape, I don't know if they exist or are readily available?

Good luck.

Comment

The numbers are on the dampner and you'll find them without the sand paper and hospital staff nearby. Just spay with carb cleaner and keep bumping the key! If you are by yourself? I know up and down but it is there.

Comment

• texastomeh
                Apprentice
                • Aug 28 2007

tbirds8,

Just spay with carb cleaner and keep bumping......
                GOSH! I don't which I dread the most - holding sandpaper to a running pulley or spraying myself with carb cleaner!!

Just funning you!! I know what you mean and thanx for the helpful hint. I will try it first.

texastomeh (soon to be known as "fireball"(?))

Comment

• texastomeh
                  Apprentice
                  • Aug 28 2007

Originally posted by tbirds8
                  The numbers are on the dampner and you'll find them without the sand paper and hospital staff nearby. Just spay with carb cleaner and keep bumping the key! If you are by yourself? I know up and down but it is there.
                  You are right tbirds8!! They are there!!

Glad that I did not try the sandpaper, since the timing marks are so shallow/light. I could have totally obliterated them.

Thanx for the suggestion.

texastomeh

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎