No announcement yet.

New Birds

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Birds

Got one home today ... will get the other later this week.

Poor things -- they need a lot of help.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

Webs.com has been shut down on the 31st of August 2023. Find out what that means for your site and how to move it to another provider.

RE: New Birds

More pics of the new birds:

Comment

• JohnG
      John
      • Jul 28 2003

those oughta keep you busy for the next 15 years or so!!!

What are your plans for them???
      1958 Hardtop
      #8452 TBird Registry
      http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
      history:
      http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

Now you have a Squarebird from each year!

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

DUDE!
          You're braver (or crazier) than I am

Congrats on saving these ol Birds!
          Casey

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

oh wait....
            I just went to your webpage and read your journals (good job by the way). I didn't realize you were using these 2 cars to aid in the restoration of your '58.
            I think that's probably the best use of them anyway - they do look pretty much worn out don't they?

That being said, I still hardly ever see a squarebird in a salvage yard or even sitting out in a field somewhere.

Where did they all go I wonder?

Couldn't a guy take a good bodied '59 or '60 and swap out the trim and other model year specifics to make a solid '58? About the only body piece that is different is the tail light panels isn't it? The rest is trim and ornamentation right?
            The only reason I mention it is because I saw the rust on the '58 and thought maybe one of the other 2 cars might be better in that category. Rust is so dang hard to combat.

In any case, I think you're doing things the right way!
            Casey

Comment

Ahhhh yes....I remember those days! I don't envy you at all. In the words of some of my students "Have fun with that..."

Comment

• peeeot
                Experienced
                • Oct 23 2005

These cars look awesome, even in that condition! That '59 looks about as good on the outside as mine was when I bought it. Actually, I'd say mine looked worse with all the surface rust it had. Anything can be restored. That hasn't been through a crusher.

Comment

I'm gonna try to answer everyone with this reply.

>I just went to your webpage and read your journals (good job
                  >by the way). I didn't realize you were using these 2 cars to
                  >aid in the restoration of your '58.

Thanks! Yeah, I'd love to keep them all but I don't see how. Each has it's own set of problems (translation: major money issues).

>I think that's probably the best use of them anyway - they
                  >do look pretty much worn out don't they?

The '60 is by far the worst of the three (yes, it's worse then my '58). The floor pans are pretty much gone, as is a lot of the trunk floor. The subframe rails are almost non-existent as well, and not just the ones that run the length of the body. The ones that run side to side in front and in back are also gone (rusted away). About the only thing on the '60 that's really worth salvaging is that Mark 5 A/C unit, as it suprisingly has all the parts. While I have no idea what condition the parts are in, at least they're there -- all the engine brackets, etc., everything. The only part of the A/C that I can tell is trashed is the control head, and one of the package tray "snorkles." This car also has power windows. The hood has seperated from it's framework in the front, as has part of the deck lid. The body has a lot of rust, and a lot of bondo. The interior is trash, and like my '58, has "flo-thru" ventilation at the roofline, over the windshield. The vent/front window brackets are in great shape and worthy of a rechrome (minimal pitting). Drip rails are intact and in good shape.

Before you ask why I bothered with it, I wanted the A/C and a few parts from it. It became a package deal. I got the '60 AND a 20' car trailer with a 6000 lb electric winch for $1500.

The '59 IS in a lot better shape body-wise, but it's frame rails are also rusted. The rear bumper is trash, but the front is in suprisingly good shape. The grill is all there, but bent in places. The engine is mostly gone -- I mean, it's not there. There IS a block, intake, exhaust, heads (valve covers are just lying there), but nothing on the front of the motor is there (I haven't checked any of the numbers yet). Neither is there a radiator. It does have power brakes -- Kelsey Hayes booster is under the dash. It's interior is also long gone. Most of the dash is there, but in poor shape. I think it has a power seat, or maybe that was the '60. The hood and deck lid are in good shape, as are the quarters and the front fenders. Header panel shows signs of old bondo, but it's just a "skiff" and nothing is very deep into it. Doors are salvagable but not without repair. It's windshield and rear window are unbroken.

>
                  >That being said, I still hardly ever see a squarebird in a
                  >salvage yard or even sitting out in a field somewhere.
                  >
                  >Where did they all go I wonder?

To the crusher, unfortunetly.

>
                  >Couldn't a guy take a good bodied '59 or '60 and swap out
                  >the trim and other model year specifics to make a solid '58?
                  >About the only body piece that is different is the tail
                  >light panels isn't it? The rest is trim and ornamentation
                  >right?

I wish. The rear suspension is the first biggest difference -- the '59 and '60 have leaf springs while the '58 has control arms with coil springs. The front ends are also different. Price the tie rods and you'll see what I mean.

>The only reason I mention it is because I saw the rust on
                  >the '58 and thought maybe one of the other 2 cars might be
                  >better in that category. Rust is so dang hard to combat.
                  >
                  >In any case, I think you're doing things the right way!

Thank you! I sure hope so! I *HATE* the thought of cutting these up or parting them out, but ... well, you know.

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

I thought I was a glutton for punishment.
                    Well good luck. The 59 looks do-able.

I should talk . . . maybe going to look at a 60 SR tomorrow . . .
                    Probably a parts car at best. We'll see.

What's different in the 58 steering? I thought just the rear susp was different. Now a 58 doesn't have the 2 sp Ford-o-matic does it?

John

Comment

>What's different in the 58 steering? I thought just the rear
                      >susp was different. Now a 58 doesn't have the 2 sp
                      >Ford-o-matic does it?
                      >
                      >John

No, the '58 has the same tranny.

The front end on a '58 uses different inner tie rods then the '59/'60.

1958 inner tie rod (B7A-3280/81-A): $45.00 (avg retail)
                      59/60 inner tie rod (B9AA-3280/81-A): $115.00 (avg retail)

Comment

>Couldn't a guy take a good bodied '59 or '60 and swap out
                        >the trim and other model year specifics to make a solid '58?
                        >About the only body piece that is different is the tail
                        >light panels isn't it? The rest is trim and ornamentation
                        >right?

Yanno, in the grand scheme of things, I suppose you *could* do that. No one but another Squarebirder would know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎