X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Tail Light Lens Repainting

If any of you have tried to remove your tail light lens from the backing plate, you know it can be challenging. Here is something I found that works really well.
    1. Use a bolt with washers to mount the lens in a vise. I did grind down 2 flats on the washer that went inside the lens. That allowed it to slip in the slots for the bulb socket.
    2. Using a propane torch, gently heat the backside of the metal plate, around the gasket area. Stay away from the plastic lens.
    3. While heating the metal plate, gently try to rock the plastic lens. Once it frees up, it will be easy to remove.

I removed 2 lens with no problems and even was able to save the gasket on one of them. Once removed you can paint the inside of the lens white and then reinstall. If you are so inclined, you could also polish the lens using a white buffing compound and finish with a headlight restoring plastic polish. Worked great for me.
    And for those of you that look really close, yes I have a few more decals to put on the backing plate. That is tonights project.
    Nyles
    Attached Files
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Tail Light Lens Repainting

Nyles, thanks for the post and the pix! That is great information and the tail light assemblies look like they just came off the production line! Great looking job and I see you are about to finish off putting in the black pieces! Congratulations!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

The full sized squares went in really well. It is all the oddball shaped little pieces that are challenging. Oh well, it will get there. I am really happy I went with the decals, as they smooth out some of the rough areas on the backing plates. I think they hide this better than paint would.
      Nyles

Comment

• Dan Leavens
        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Nyles very nicely done
        Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
        Thunderbird Registry
        58HT #33317
        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Tail lights done

Both tail light assemblies done and I had black squares left over as spares. It was a couple of nights of watching TV to finish both of the waffle plates. Took one over to the car today to check the fit of the gasket needed to the body. I agree with previous post that a caulking rope should work just fine.
          Nyles
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎