X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carolina Tee Bird
    inexperienced
    • Jul 9 2015

oil pressure and voltage light to gauge conversion

For Square bird, anyone aware of converting the lights to gauges?
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

I am not sure what you mean by "converting" lights to gauges. I have six auxiliary gauges in my Squarebird, three mechanical - manifold vacuum, oil pressure and auxiliary vacuum (I have a 430 with an auxiliary vacuum pump below the oil pump in the oil pan) - and three electrical - amps, volts and tachometer. The original warning lights are still in place and functioning. As you can see from the picture on the left, I have the auxiliary gauges mounted below the dash panel. I have pictures by other who have auxiliary gauges mounted below the radio.
    Attached Files
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
      inexperienced
      • Jul 9 2015

I am not mechanical and have thought the warning lights usually go on when it's too late. Thought having a gauge instead would make sense like in modern cars. Why do you have vacuum gauges? Is that an indication of a common problem in that engine? I have a rebuilt 390 in my car and would like to drive with confidence that I'm not having a problem until too late. Currently have had overheating issues and the car is at the mechanic getting that sorted out.
      There is currently an extra gauge for the alternator below dash (generator replaced) and thought it would be best to have oil pressure as well.
      Thanks for reply.

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

It's hard for a car to anticipate upcoming problems. The best solution is to take care of the little things as they come and follow a rigorous maintenance schedule. Yes, the GEN light comes on after you threw a belt. If that's the only belt, you can expect the engine will overheat very shortly.

The warnings we get are bare minimum because a 'normal' engine doesn't leak or 'use' coolant or oil. The only way we know the engine is dangerously low on oil or coolant is by physically checking it, like filling stations used to do every time you got gas. (Remember the days when that level of service was expected? That's when our cars were built.)

Maybe we should have 'gas jockey' switches that check levels and shut the engine off automatically before the liquids are gone. I bet we would see more folks with a reserve quart of oil and a gallon of water in their trunk. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
          inexperienced
          • Jul 9 2015

overheating running hot at idle

problem running hot when idling. Changed 4 blade fan to 6 blade. Installed fan shroud. Installed additional electric fan. Changed thermostat and still runs hot when idling. Broke down when in bumper to bumper traffic. Is there any other suggestion? Motor is a rebuilt 360 from late 60's. 1,000 miles on new motor. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You didn't mention the condition of your radiator. Also what do you have your timing set to. Timing that is too retarded will cause overheating. I like to set my timing to 8-10 BTDC rather than the factory 6 degrees.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Thunderherd
              Apprentice
              • Oct 22 2014

I see in one of your posts you mention you are not very mechanical. So with that in mind, how did you mount your electric fan? And, if it's in front of your radiator, which way is it blowing air?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Everyone in this thread is VERY good with mechanical problems. That's why they are able to help you.

I mounted my electric fan in our GALAXIE, in front of the radiator. The direction is reversed so fresh air blows into the radiator from the front.

Others here have used Ford radiators from the bone yard. Larry Noska (lnoska)comes to mind. CLICK HERE for his thread. He got a two-fan shroud from a Contour, I believe. It's running in his '60 Thunderbird with a 100-amp alternator. All his overheating troubles went away along with that old mechanical fan. Now, he can idle for hours in any weather. - Dave
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                  Banned
                  • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by Carolina Tee Bird
                  Installed additional electric fan.
                  You have a mechanical fan and an electric fan?

When I converted to an electric I did a lot of research. Most of the after market fans just don't have the amps to cool a big block motor. You have to spend big bucks. I used a fan off a Lincoln Mark 8, $100 delivered to my door, and it draws 55 amps at full power, practically pulls the car along. That created the problem of getting that much juice to it. The factory alternator was only 40 amps...

Comment

• Carolina Tee Bird
                    inexperienced
                    • Jul 9 2015

overheating

Originally posted by jopizz
                    You didn't mention the condition of your radiator. Also what do you have your timing set to. Timing that is too retarded will cause overheating. I like to set my timing to 8-10 BTDC rather than the factory 6 degrees.

John
                    Professional mechanic doing all the work since I am not. Electric fan mounted in front of radiator (blowing thru radiator) Mechanical fan still there with new 6 blade fan. Radiator looks new and had small crack at top which was fixed and tested at a Radiator shop. Will ask about timing settings. Any other thoughts?

Comment

• bygrace
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 27 2015

amp and oil guages

I see the discussion on aux guages so i emailed "carolina" a pic of the guages I built into the clock bezel, using the hands, and the gold and silver trim to match. My son printed a self adhesive vinyl face with the correct font. Carolina says he's going with a console pod. Have you seen the other thread with six guages under the dash? Sorry but I lost the handle on it.

Comment

• bygrace
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 27 2015

Found the six guage example. Search user stratobird. I'd post mine but it says I can't.

Comment

• Tbird1044
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jul 31 2012

Michael:
                          Sounds like an interesting conversion. If you send a picture to Ray Clark (Yellowrose), he can post it for you. Unless you are a paid member, the site does not allow you to post pics.
                          Nyles

Comment

• bygrace
                            Experienced
                            • Jul 27 2015

Just did send the pic. Thanks Nyles. I have to admit I was queasy about cutting up the clock, so this is probably not for an original bird. Our bird was already pretty non original and the clock was busted. Plus I had a box of guages laying around from another project. And, I was in the middle of rehabbing the other guages in general. So why not? Tedious work tho.

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

oil pressure and voltage light to gauge conversion

Mike ~ Bygrace (which by the way is his wife's vanity plate on her Tbird...) sent me those pix and I will post them below this. I also looked at the thread he referenced regarding stratobird. I found that it was Howard Prout who has the six gauge set up in his Squarebird. Here is the link to that. That is a nice way that Howard did his, IMHO.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...1087#post81087
                              Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎