No announcement yet.

Incorrect reading on my fuel gauge

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect reading on my fuel gauge

I just changed the fuel tank, sender,pickup and screen on my '63.
    Checked wire to the From tank to gauge, tank is grounded. Applied a ground on the wire and it operated the fuel guage to full which is correct. It reads the same as it did before I changed the tank, which is wrong. Any ideas guys? How about the voltage regulator on the instrument panel? Spitballin here, could use some help.
    Thanks,
    Pat
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's possible the CVR is giving you a false reading but it's also possible the fuel gauge or the sender needs to be calibrated. Remove the sender and connect the wire and ground the sender. Try moving the arm from empty to half way to full and see if the gauge corresponds. If not try bending the stops and see if it fixes it. Rarely are the senders accurate right out of the box.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Thanks John for your help. I replaced the old CVR first (just in case), took out the sender and pickup and adjusted it as you had instructed. Now I have a working fuel gauge. You guys have always been a great help, thanks again.
      Pat

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You're welcome. Glad to see it was a fairly easy fix and not something more involved.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎