No announcement yet.

Windshield wiper remedy

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield wiper remedy

Thunderchicken60 I recently was told of an arcticel in Early Bird Mag.about a method to free up sticky or non working wipers.Here is what I did,I removed the right motor mount nut and loosened the left so I could move motor forward enough to get my fat hand behind it.
    I replaced the old vacuum hose,just to the left of that port is an open one,I placed a new hose on that port and ran it out into the glove box area.At first I started the car and turned on the wipers and ran brake fluid through the motor while I worked the wipers by hand.Did that for about 15 mins,to no avail.Then I said to myself,self lets try some PB Blaster-kinda like WD 40 but better-That did not seem to work either.
    I decided to take the old bird out for a ride as I had just reset the timing and carb-vacuum is now at 18 deg.-She ran beautifully no hesitation and lots of power.Along the way I kept working the wipers and by the time I got home 30 mins later they where working great.
    My next project is finding a spring for my clock.Any ideas. George

RE: Windshield wiper remedy

Great story and the mother of inventions is at work!!!!Jon

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

George so that's how to get them to work. Thanks for posting this.

Dano 58 bird Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Hi tchicken I tryed putting pbblaster right in the hose. but thought the motor is gona pull it right out. That sounds way better. I have a couple clocks i got from ebay not the best lookin but they were only about $10 apiece. I was thinking PARTS. I'm going to try the wind wip trick when i do the heater core job. Later............Bill

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

There is grease inside the wiper motor. With the brake fluid and penetrant you softened up some of the grease. Unfortunately you also flushed it away into the engine. This is only a temporary fix. If there is not enough lubrication, you will damage the wiper motor. Get it rebuilt.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
            Experienced
            • Mar 31 2004

I concur with Alex.

The interior of the box does contain a grease that hardens over time.
            But the flapper is a piece of leather that suffers from the same malady. It hardens over time. Putting brake fluid into the chamber could do what you are after but when it absorbs moisture it turns caustic and is very corrosive and will cause the pot metal housing to deteriorate.

I am for short cuts but this one will cause the wiper vacuum motor to deteriorate to the point you will have to find a replacement.

Your choice.

Fuz
            58's&64's
            Sun Prairie, Wi.

Comment

Good info. Where can you by a kit to rebuild it. Looks simple enough i have my spare apart right now and just the leather is greased. This looks to be bad gaskets. and a little scoring in the bottom. Thanks...............Bill

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I agree it is simple to rebuild these motos, unfortunately the only source for vacuum wiper motor parts is Ficken. They do not sell the parts individually, they only rebuild motors. Go to www.wiperman.com

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

Got a question on the windshild wipper problem. Mine work but not very fast and when it looses it vacumm it stops. I can take and pull one wipper away from the windshild and run the windshild wipper motor and the the one that still on the windshild will work great! Does this mean I haft to rebuild the windshild wipper motor or could there be another problem.

Ok now that we know that there is a problem, how hard is it to get to the windshild wipper motor? And is there away to check the windshild wipper vlv behind the dash? By this I mean the on and oft switch for the wippers. Thanks Jon

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

The windshield wiper swtich is just a cable control to the wipers. That valve usually does not go bad. What you are experiencing probably requires a rebuild.

Instructions for wiper motor removal are on the main site in the technical section.

Alexander
                    1959 Hardtop
                    1960 Golde Top
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

• tbirdave
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 12 2006

Dude, if you're going to go to all the trouble removing your wiper motor, get the electric conversion kit. It is a bolt on and works really great. I got mine from Concours Parts in Carson City NV. and added the delay option to it. In CA it doesn't rain, it pours! It's nice to know that the wipers are always going to work. tbirdave

Comment

Well I now have my wiper motor out and ready to ship back east for a brand new rebuilt one. I tried to get my old one to work with using some different solvents but to no avail. So it now time to spend some more money on the T Bird money pit. Oh well up here in Washington you really do need a good running wind swipes. Jon

Comment

Ya but it's better than throwing money at a hole in the water..later.Bill

Comment

I decided to go with an outfit down in California that has the windshild motor on the shelf. The guy back east told me it would take him three weeks to rebuild the one I send him. So for a few more bucks ($94 dollar) I will have a new rebuilt one back up in the black hole by next week. Jon

PS. Now what will be the next problem to creap up????

Comment

Got the rebuilt wipper motor yesterday and its light day and night as far as the compression inside the new motor from the old one. I really thing this is going to be money well spent. Jon

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎