X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles Nix
    Apprentice
    • Apr 5 2012

How to remove steering wheel

Need help...how do I remove the steering wheel on my 60 Tbird? Thanks!
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Remove the chrome center cap, remove the large nut and use a puller to pull the steering wheel off. That's about it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Steering wheel ...

John pretty much has it covered. I would add, mark the steering wheel position in relation to the shaft with tape or a center punch. Mike

Comment

• Charles Nix
        Apprentice
        • Apr 5 2012

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

Take your time with the puller and make sure you've got the proper bolts screwed into the steering wheel with at least 5 threads. One of my Chinese pullers didn't come with 3 sets of the proper bolts and I had to go get another bolt from the hardware store. Their quality control wasn't very good!
          sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Just about all brands of cars press their steering wheels over a spline, and held there with a nut. Some steering wheels come off easier than others. I was told (by a real big dude) that simply 'jerking' the wheel real hard, will release it. Yeah, right. Don't bend your steering wheel, trying this method.

The wheel on my '55 Ford simply bent all the pullers I tried. I ended up making my own 'beefed-up' puller with long grade-8 bolts. I put so much pressure on this puller, when the wheel finally cracked loose, I was checking myself for collateral damage. I heard this loud CRACK and all the puller parts suddenly jumped loose, making them sing. It happened fast and violent.

By contrast, my '59 steering wheel nearly lifted off by itesf as soon as the nut was loosened. Now I understand what the big dude was talking about.

Your steering wheel should come off with moderate pulling, but it could go either way. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

When I first tried to take my steering wheel off after 50+ years I needed to use a puller. I've since taken it off two or three times and it comes off now with just a quick jerk.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• cdhowell
                Apprentice
                • Jun 15 2011

Once tension is on the pullers center bolt, tap it downwards like you are driving a nail with a hammer. Turn a quarter turn and tap. Repeat this process

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎