Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painting - Opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlike the Tbird the trans on Mark II's can't be removed without the engine out as it has an "X" frame.

I put the engine and trans in on my own using a rachet strap on the crank pulley to tilt as I needed.

This engine was pulled in Feb so it's nice to see it back where it belongs and hopefully I can get it running before the end of the year

Comment

• scumdog
      Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      Anders, I love you like a brother BUT you gotta use good heavy equipment. Look what's going on here:

This cherry picker is a 2-ton capacity. 4,000-lbs is serious business. Engines w/trans usually weigh around 1,000-lbs. so there's plenty of safety.

Richard has his chains bolted into 3/8" exhaust manifold holes in four places for good control and plenty of safety.
      Not happy seeing the chain settin' on the rockers..just saying.
      A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

I had the chain just clear of the rockers not by much but it was clear

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

No, you're not on the rockers but Tom's point is well taken. If a wide spreader bar is used, your lift would even clear the rocker covers (that are absent in the picture). There is a lot of weight going on, here. The tensile pressure on those chains is even more demanding because they are lifting at a great angle.

Truth be told, I have bent valves and broken sintered valve guides from exerting side pressure. They're not as strong as you might think. The last thing I do before replacing the cover is to give each spring a smack with a rubber mallet. The sound from opening and closing should be the same for all intake and all exh valves. A bent stem will show up right away because they usually stick in the guide and it sounds different.

I also cringe when I see those intake manifold plates used to lift an engine. Bolt-on some steel side plates with chain eyes or slots. They can be made in ten minutes. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎