X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wyldie
    Apprentice
    • Dec 22 2016

Cleaning white vinyl

The top of my white door trims are a touch yellow from either the sun or an arm resting on it. Has anyone had much luck getting them back to white? The rest of the trim is great and cleaned up well with simple green and a nylon brush. Be nice to get some of the yellow off, going to try a product today called "starbrite mildew and stain remover" seems to work well on white boat vinyl according to YouTube.

Mike
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

If you can't get the yellow out by cleaning, you might try using a white vinyl paint. The vinyl paints are very durable and easy to use. Just a thought.
    Nyles

Comment

• Wyldie
      Apprentice
      • Dec 22 2016

Thanks for the idea, was trying to avoid painting, but might end up happening unless someone can give me a better cleaning idea?

Comment

• c4clewis
        Experienced
        • Aug 18 2010

Suprisingly, the best cleaning I've gotten is from the premoistened Armorall wipes that come in the plastic can. Better than even the expensive spray cleaners.

My bet is the UV has damaged the paint and it won't come off however. The good news is that the SEM vinyl paint is available. I painted my whole interior and it is holding up great. Just remember, clean, clean, clean. Prep,prep,prep. Most places have the pre-paint cleaner and prep kits.

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I'm with Matthew, vinyl is so porous that some things will never come out.
          Mom was doing a crossword in the back seat on a long trip. Wouldn't you know, she accidently wrote on the back of the driver's white vinyl seat with her ball-point pen (I think it was a Bic) while getting out of the car. Despite all cleaning methods short of damaging the vinyl, that mark was there to the day the car went to its grave.

Sometimes vinyl paint/stain is the only solution. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Mike you might try Mr. Clean soap pads. I have used them over the years on various cleaning procedures and depending on the severity of your stain might work out

Also Mr. Google ( when I typed in how to clean white vinyl in classics?) suggest using Meguiers vinyl PREP and NOT cleaner which is used to prep vinyl for changing the interior colour??
            Last edited by Dan Leavens; March 17, 2018, 03:46 PM.
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• philgarvey
              Apprentice
              • Jul 21 2011

I had great results from using GOOF OFF. I used it to clean my vinyl and roof fabric. One thing though, don't let it sit on the material too long. Wipe/spray, let it sit a second or two and wipe away

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎