This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:28 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road
Default Thunderbird Gasoline Company

I stumbled across this sign on flea bay and whilst I am sure its a reproduction, it has a date (1959) on it which would be unusual touch for a repro.

I tried to do some research on the interwebs, but couldnt find out anything about this business. The only thing that came up was a company that looks at land titles etc for oil leases and the like, so I dont think that would be it, as this specifically says Gasoline.

The question is, has anyone ever heard of this company / remember it, and yes now I must have one of the signs (preferably an original)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TbirdGas.jpg (26.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Bill I too researched this company and came up the same as you? I haven't heard of Thunderbird Gasoline up here in Canada but perhaps some members / guests in other countries might provide some feedback.
58HT #33317
Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Busted Knuckles

Dan, our resident sniffer dog, yellowrose has been on the trail as well, and he is drawing a blank on company info as well so we are reliant on someone remembering it.

He has found a gas globe (used to be on top of bowsers) for Thunderbird Gasoline Premium so I tend to think there may be something to it. Having said that you can also get repro gas globes featuring all sorts of things, like Harley Davidsons, well known bourbon brands etc. So it may be I am chasing a ghost, and if so I will probably buy a sign that at least looks to be an original and be done with it!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Jan Feb issue of CTCI's Early Bird magazine has and ad on page 6 displaying pumps from Thunderbird Gasoline

Road Rash Restoration
Walter Bell
920 224 2500
cbell1957@aol.com

I have no knowledge or affiliation with the above. Just passing it along.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Thunderbird Gasoline Company

Hi Joe! Thanks for that information! As a result of what you posted, I was able to get more information on this company, which is probably gonna please Bill ~ Penelope! Walter told me that he had read that there is or was a Thunderbird Gasoline Company which was a division of a company called Great West Gas Co. He said he thought it was based in the Montana, Wyoming, maybe Canada area of the country. He said he thought he had that source and would send it to me. So the Super Duper Sniffer Dog, put his nose to the trail and started doing research on that, and found the Great Western Oil & Gas Co. of Denver, Co. So I called them! Most of their people were in a big meeting today, so I was not able to get any additional information from them, but they will call me back, I was told. However, she said she did not think they were formally known as the Great West Gas Co. I will do some more research on defunct, past and present oil companies by that name, because I was searching under the TB Gasoline Co name.

In talking with Walter, I found out that he used have a bunch of classic cars, still has a big Ford and a fully restored, back in the 1970's, 1957 Babybird! He said he won a lot of trophies with that over the years, but the wear is starting to show. I told him about us, and will be sending some information. He will be sending me some information also, regarding what he has available. So, thank you for that link to him. I will see where this takes us, because it looks like he has some things that Bill might be interested in.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

That's good news. Hope the info helps everyone interested.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Busted Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
Hi Joe! Thanks for that information! As a result of what you posted, I was able to get more information on this company, which is probably gonna please Bill ~ Penelope! Walter told me that he had read that there is or was a Thunderbird Gasoline Company which was a division of a company called Great West Gas Co. He said he thought it was based in the Montana, Wyoming, maybe Canada area of the country. He said he thought he had that source and would send it to me. So the Super Duper Sniffer Dog, put his nose to the trail and started doing research on that, and found the Great Western Oil & Gas Co. of Denver, Co. So I called them! Most of their people were in a big meeting today, so I was not able to get any additional information from them, but they will call me back, I was told. However, she said she did not think they were formally known as the Great West Gas Co. I will do some more research on defunct, past and present oil companies by that name, because I was searching under the TB Gasoline Co name.

In talking with Walter, I found out that he used have a bunch of classic cars, still has a big Ford and a fully restored, back in the 1970's, 1957 Babybird! He said he won a lot of trophies with that over the years, but the wear is starting to show. I told him about us, and will be sending some information. He will be sending me some information also, regarding what he has available. So, thank you for that link to him. I will see where this takes us, because it looks like he has some things that Bill might be interested in.
Aint no holding you back Ray! Sniffed another one out, great work and I cant wait to hear from Walter. I am currently winning the bid on an old gas pump sign with 1 day to go.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Bill good luck with the bid

I am currently winning the bid on an old gas pump sign with 1 day to go.
58HT #33317