Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PINK Wire and Ignition switch Faliure????

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

PINK Wire and Ignition switch Faliure????

Seems i started to loose some accessories, blower, fuel sender, dome light...
    When the car was started the ignition key got stuck and i mean stuck had to smother the carb to shut the engine and the key still wouldnt come out, Killed battery, as the ignition and gen light were still on all the time, and finally got the key out with a pliars.. the tumbler is FINE@ but there was an arc on the ignition switch and it basically fell apart in my hands.. ok so we changed the switch. .try to start the car and only get a CLICK CLICK.. all accessories work except the dome light still. We can go to the starter selenoid remove the wire touch with a screw driver and the car starts...so we know we can by pass the selloniod and the car starts but wont really stay lit and sounds like a sick truck.
    went to the manual and followed all the instruction in the book to test all and the new switch. seems all is okay until we get to the part of running the little jumper wire that prooves the (Ignition wire) PINK WIRE is SHOT! Power surge or something blew the pink wire which cause the arc and the ignitions switch to blow...
    ??? does this seem right to you guys out there who know this stuff. we followed the book and the trouble shooting and it seems this is it.. tell me your thought as it does not seem like a major thing to change to run a new PINK wire or does someone have another idea it could be the sellenoid or something???

mark

:-(
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: PINK Wire and Ignition switch Faliure????

Wow, you blew the resistance wire by starting the car! I have nto heard of that happening. I have had ignition switches go bad. The usual symptom is that sometimes the car does not want to crank. The shop manual gives instructions on how to replace the resistance wire. I assume you tested it and there is infinite resistance on it, indicating that it is burnt.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

>Wow, you blew the resistance wire by starting the car! I
      >have nto heard of that happening. I have had ignition
      >switches go bad. The usual symptom is that sometimes the car
      >does not want to crank. The shop manual gives instructions
      >on how to replace the resistance wire. I assume you tested
      >it and there is infinite resistance on it, indicating that
      >it is burnt.

I dont think it blew by starting the car, i think when the key got stuck and the car was stopped the car remained in the ON position and a power surge blew the wire!, we did all the test in the book and the final one said replace the ignition wire (Pink)....the ignation sitch was band fried and it might have fried the wire also? what do you think. i was on the phone with Don from the birds nest and he helped diagnose it with me.. do you think it possibly is the ignition coil.....????? or does it still seem like the wire?

Comment

ALL Fixed..turned out that the ignition switch was totally FRIED!!! Actually fell apart in my hands when i removed it....
        Changed some fuses and whala....all perfect again
        mark

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎