X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Radiator - rebuild or buy a new one?

Hello guys, I have an original radiator on my '59. It started leaking a bit from several spots. Now, I am aware that the sediments inside can be chemically disolved and the leaking spots welded or otherwise repaired. My question is - is that a good thing to do? I understand I can save up to 50 % oposite to buying a new $450 radiator. But, how long will such repair last? Isn't a better solution to buy a new radiator and have peace for good? I will be gratefull for your opinnions and experience.

PS: I just realised that the repair companies might be able to replace the radiator core completely instead of repairing it. Then the radiator might be as good as the new one?
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Radiator

Jiri, when mine gave me trouble back around 2008, I had it re-cored professionally and it has performed well ever since. Lets see what jopizz, Dave or others have to say. It sure beats the cost of buying a new one and having it shipped to your country.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I wouldn't repair your old core. If you can have the core replaced that would be the best and cheapest option.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• scumdog
        Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

If the core is leaking and it's not as a result of physical impact type damage (a large stone flicked up by a truck tyre etc) get it replaced, after all, how many times do you want to have to remove the radiator to repair a new leak each time one occurs?
        The resultin peace of mind will soon dull the pain of the cost!
        A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
          Experienced
          • Jun 20 2012

Thank you John, Scumdog, Ray. Replacing the radiator's core seems like the best option. Repairing the core repeatedly is exactly what I want to avoid.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
            Experienced
            • Mar 31 2004

If at all possible have the radiator recored. This type of repair is dissapperaring but is the best for these old cars. Nothing fits like an original that has been recored.

Good Luck
            Fuz
            58's&64's

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎