X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REM
    Apprentice
    • Mar 28 2011

'60 Shift indicator

What is supposed to make up the shift indicator.
    Mine has no mark to line up with the gear position markings.
    I removed the wheel and the plate with the gear markings and there is just a red plastic behind it. There is a hole with a light in it behind that so with the lights on I have a red spot to show the selector position but nothing when the lights are off.
    Thanks Richard

Hey Richard,
    If I'm understanding you correctly! My '60 has a red circle that moves as you change the gear selector!
    Richard D. Hord
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; July 14, 2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• REM
      Apprentice
      • Mar 28 2011

Where yours has the white background with the red circle mine is all red. The whole area behind the letters is red.

Comment

Hey Richard,

I've been looking through old post, hoping to find a picture where someone had taken theirs apart! No luck so far!
        Richard D. Hord
        Last edited by Guest; July 14, 2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• REM
          Apprentice
          • Mar 28 2011

Thanks
          I have also looked but not found anything helpful.
          I will try to take a few pics of what I have and post them tomorrow evening.

Comment

• REM
            Apprentice
            • Mar 28 2011

Bottom pic is with it the way it is assembled.
            The red piece was glued to the white piece with the light in it.

Comment

Hey Richard,
              Looks like something is missing
              Richard D. Hord

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

'60 Shift indicator

Here is what my '59 shift indicator looks like. There is no red panel in front of the bulb to make it show up red. Nor is there supposed to be that I know of.
                Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Hey Ray,
                  I'm wondering if there is a piece of white plastic that goes over the red with a ring and a white dot in the center! The red would only be the ring!
                  Richard D. Hord

Comment

• REM
                    Apprentice
                    • Mar 28 2011

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                    Hey Ray,
                    I'm wondering if there is a piece of white plastic that goes over the red with a ring and a white dot in the center! The red would only be the ring!
                    Richard D. Hord
                    I wondered the same thing after seeing the pic of yours but you can see in the pic of mine the red piece really is not long enough and it moves out of the window when the selector is moved. I think the red plastic in mine has been added. Just not sure what should be there to make the red circle.
                    I haven't tried it without the red piece in it but think that woould be better as the white would make the letters easier to see with out the lights on. Just not sure about the uncovered light shining from behind with the lights on at night.
                    There must be something that goes in there to make the red circle and difuse the light some.

Comment

Hey Richard,
                      I was just sitting here wondering, if you can't find one with the red ring on it, what about making one? That is probably just a piece of plex-glass that has been painted white and had a red ring added to it!
                      Or you may want to send Carl Heller (partsetal) a PM! He has several old Birds and may have the part you are looking for!
                      Keep us posted!
                      Richard D. Hord

Comment

• REM
                        Apprentice
                        • Mar 28 2011

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                        Hey Richard,
                        I was just sitting here wondering, if you can't find one with the red ring on it, what about making one? That is probably just a piece of plex-glass that has been painted white and had a red ring added to it!
                        Or you may want to send Carl Heller (partsetal) a PM! He has several old Birds and may have the part you are looking for!
                        Keep us posted!
                        Richard D. Hord
                        I think making one is a good posibility.
                        The only thing is it has to be pretty thin to not rub on the piece with the letters on it.
                        Just putting it back with the red piece left out will be an improvement.

Comment

Hey Richard,
                          I know Home Depot sells .093 plexiglas! You may be able to find a local glass shop that has some very small pieces or cut-offs they would give you to play with!
                          Making this is nothing a little time and a little patience could not accomplish. A little cutting and a little grinding and then a matter of making tape circle then painting
                          Keep us posted!
                          This is what I like about these guys that restore these old cars, where there is a will there is a way! If not our members will make the parts!
                          Richard D. Hord

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎