X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harry LePargneux
    Apprentice
    • Sep 30 2010

Clogged sunroof drain

One of my front sunroof drains was clogged resulting in water dripping into the car. I filled the drain with vinegar and let it sit for awhile, then used compressed air to complete clearing the drain. The drain now flows freely!
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Clogged sunroof drain

Thanks for that post and tip on how you cleared your clogged sunroof drain. Others should be able to put that to good use, if they have the same problem.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Dan Leavens
      Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Harry thanks for this tip. Look at you go
      Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
      Thunderbird Registry
      58HT #33317
      60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Stevenlesser
        • May 18 2015

Sunroof drain hole

Hi I took a shower in the car wash with my leaky 60 sunroof!
        Exactly where are the drain holes? So I can work on them also the weatherstrip is gone ,any suggestions what a ok replacement would be?

Comment

• jopizz
          Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are two drain holes near the front corners of the opening. There are drain tubes that run inside the windshield pillars and drain out the bottom of the fenders. As far as the seal goes I would contact one of the Thunderbird vendors or you can send a PM to Carl Heller (partsetal) and see what he uses.

John
          John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
          jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Stevenlesser
            • May 18 2015

Thanks! I'll search for them ,I bet they'd been sealed by someone in past .how big are the holes ? 1/4"?

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
              Apprentice
              • Sep 30 2010

The front drain holes are about 1/2" wide by 1/4" high at the front corners - close to the rear edge of the aluminum corner piece that surounds the opening. There are also drain hoses in the C panels behind the quarter windows that drain ahead of the rear wheels. You can see these if you lift the headliner.

Comment

• bird 60
                Super-Experienced
                • Mar 18 2009

Hi Steven, you mentioned that you took a shower when going through a car wash. That's the first time that I personally have heard of anyone taking their Classic Car through a Car Wash.
                If you want your Classic Car rust free for a long-long time use the two bucket method. I use Maguire's Car wash in one bucket with warm water, & warm water in the other & wipe with a Chamois.

Chris......From OZ.

Comment

• Stevenlesser
                  • May 18 2015

Oh thanks ,when I get home from this work trip I'll search for the holes and make sure they're open was this rear hole you mention to drain the sun roof or the rear window opening ? So there's 2 sets of drain holes to look for ?

I used to have a vw As a kid and kept thinking the sun roof looked familiar in the t bird. Ah ha ! They're the same !

I have to send a pic to. Aslauto .com to see if he's got the seals
                  There's 3 I think ,rear felt
                  Rubber seal
                  Car body seal

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 30 2010

The front drain holes are about even with the back edge of the aluminum corner piece that surounds the opening and drain below the rear portion of the front fenders. The hoses down the C panels are attached to the rear of the side drain channels. You can see the hoses under the rear arm rests or under the headliner.

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Clogged sunroof drain

Hole mystery - Posted by Stevenlesser

Well it tuns out that a lot of the rust I'm fighting; driver side floor board, rocker panels, may be due to the leaky top. I found the front holes, I tried to wire them clear to drain but have an obstruction. Are the other end of the holes the bottom end of the front drain holes visible in the front wheel wells? Say if I turn the wheel all the way to the passenger side? How about those back holes, I didn't spot the back set of drain holes. Does the roof need to come out of the car to see these? How about the rear bottom end, where can I spot it? I sent pics to the fellow recommended for the weatherstripping but didn't hear back, and tried the English vw guy. I'll have to send pics with a measuring tape over the roof. Seems like the sun roof repair is vital to the car coming back on line. Is there a way to put phone pics in these notes to share the fun?

Response on How To Post Pictures by YellowRose.

When we welcomed you to the Forum earlier this year I posted this information to you and all new Forum users in the New Members Welcoming Forum on how to post pictures here. Here is what was said.

We always enjoy seeing pictures of our new members Tbird. If you have any you want to share with us you can post them directly on our server as a Paid Member. To become one, have a PayPal account and click on the Donate to Site button at the top right of this Forum. Or you can create an account on one of the free picture hosting websites, (like Photobucket) upload your pictures there and post the link to them in Our Rides Forum. Keep the pictures to no larger than 800x600pixels.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Harry LePargneux
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 30 2010

The bottom of the front drains are on the underside of the rocker panels, about an inch back from the front fender lip. They are about 1.5 inches wide and face the inside of the car. The rear drains are also on the underside of the rocker panels. There is a reference to drain holes in Section 13 of the 1960 Shop Manual.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎