X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1960Bird
    Experienced
    • Dec 4 2002

Sub Frame Connectors

Has anyone fabricated and installed sub frame connectors on their car? Or is there some other way to reinforce the unibody so the car doesn't flex. My car is flexing or sagging so bad that the doors do not open properly any more. Thanks.

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears and Mild Cam
    390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

RE: Sub Frame Connectors

Are you sure its the car sagging that is the problem?? These cars have very heavy doors that can be affected by other things such as worn pins....striker plates out of ajustment....or worn rear springs. I have always noticed that when I jack the front end of my 58 way up to get underneath.....the doors will not open and shut properly.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I assume you have a hardtop. These cars are solid and do not sag because of time alone. If your doors are binding because you have little clearance between the door and and the body, this means your inner rocker panels are rusted. They rust form the inside out. This is not an easy job to fix, but it can be done. The car needs to be raised and supported and new angle iron needs to be welded in.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
        Experienced
        • Dec 4 2002

Alexander,
        You say that they rust from the inside out, well, I bet that is my problem as the rust is already on the outside of the rockers. Has anyone on the site ever replaced them? How difficult is it? I am a pretty good welder and sheetmetal worker, but I do not want to get in over my head.

Thanks

steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears and Mild Cam
        390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• tmjsong1aolcom
          Experienced
          • Mar 31 2004

Contact Johns Draxler at thunderbird ranch in Pittsville Wi.
          He has a very extensive website and should be able to help.

I am of the opinion before you spend lots of time doing this sort of welding job, you need to evaluate the bird to see how bad the rust underneath really is. If your bird has gone this far and is flexing when on the ground you have major rust issues that would in my opinion make the bird a canidate for becomming a parts car. I don't say this likely but in order to bring back to .life you will need to find a donor can and steal lost of metal from that bird.

I know John has brlought back cars from the dead so he is your best source of info.

Good Luck
          Fuz
          58's&64's
          Sun Prairie, Wi.
          tmjsong1@aol.com

PS If you do decide to try and save the bird, and it is a 58, I might have some decent sheet metal from cars that are no longer restorable for a variety of reasons.

Comment

• partsetal
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 4 2005

John Draxler inserts a length of rectangular tubing in the inner rocker cavity, and I have had the individual pieces fabricated and custom tailored them to accomplish the same thing. It can be done, but it is truly a labor of love, and worthy of only a 'special'car.
            Carl

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎