No announcement yet.

Won't START!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Won't START!!!

My curiosity is now peeked. While rebuilding the front end on my car I decided to replace the tired starter recently. I too got a "great" price on a rebuilt starter on ebay only to put it in the car and have it get stuck and short out. I wonder if I too got a bum deal from the same place. I was told that mine was one of 3 being sold.......... anyway.............its the first and LAST electrical part I get from a seller on ebay..............and once again........Macs Auto parts came through !!! Lesson learned

Comment

>I was told that mine was one of 3 being
      >sold.......... anyway.............its the first and LAST
      >electrical part I get from a seller on ebay..............and
      >once again........Macs Auto parts came through !!! Lesson
      >learned

I wouldn't discount every electrical part Ebay seller. I bought an original voltage regulator on Ebay -- Works like a champ and looks good too!

Comment

• mvonhobe
        Apprentice
        • Jul 11 2003

Hey Steve, I wasn't ABOUT to snitch you off - but I guess you have SO much integrity you had to drop the dime on yourself. Good on you!

And it WAS a good deal. I asked the seller some questions and she did say it was from a boat. I thought, "so what?" I never thought to ask which way the dang thing spins - someone wiser than I might have thought to ask that question! Might have been on the "driver's side" of the flywheel or else installed BEHIND it. Who knows. Don't really care right now!
        I did give some thought to trying to reverse the polarity of the thing but I'll have to pull it out first to see if the drive end is designed the same way the original starter drive is - to slide up and engage in only one direction.

Now then, fellas, I'm going to put you back to "work". I have a starter MOTOR coming tomorrow or Wednesday. It doesn't have the drive unit included; I'll have to take the one off my original starter unit. Now what kind of fun am I looking at with that operation? At least the boat starter came as a complete unit - both starter motor and drive! And as the old, naughty limerick that comes to mind ended, "But alas, with a Fred-reversed thread!"
        }>
        Matthew
        1959 Turquoise HT
        Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Matthew 1959 Indian Turquise Hardtop
        Tbirdregistry RegistryNumber=13517
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdatasheet.aspx?RegistryNumber=13517

Comment

Since I just went through this............here goes........

compress the spring on the bendix and you will see the pin that holds it in place. With a small punch or skinny phillips head screw driver........push it through. The bedix should just slide right off with no problem. The shop manual says if you need to clean it........do so with keroscene. It goes back on the new starter with a little elbow grease. DO NOT lose the little pin !!!

***** make sure the shaft of your new one is the same length as the old one !!!!

Comment

• mvonhobe
            Apprentice
            • Jul 11 2003

Will START!!!

New starter moter + old starter drive = VROOOM!!!
            Very NICE!
            NATURALLY, having sat for 2 months, another issue loomed; brakes needed bleeding. Got THAT done and went for a drive. Began to hear a noise I didn't like - eventually pegged that as a freshly broken sway bar bracket - one of the ones at the front, just under/behind the front bumper.
            While I go "shopping" at various parts suppliers on the net, do any of you Squarebirders know of a source for these?
            Tanks!

Matthew
            1959 Turquoise HT
            Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

• mvonhobe
              Apprentice
              • Jul 11 2003

RE: Will START!!!

Disregard query for those parts. The links section on the best squarebirds board in the world (THIS one!) pointed me to several sources.

Matthew
              1959 Turquoise HT

Comment

RE: Will START!!!

CONGRADULATIONS !!!

Isnt that rumble a nice sound !!!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍