X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimmc
    Experienced
    • Mar 5 2014

Ruby is ready for the road...

Well, it's true. After restoration & and updating systems on a '59 convertible I bought 3 years ago this month for my wife, it's been tested and is road ready. Today was my deadline (I finished yesterday). Our grand-daughters arrive Wed. and my wife wants to drive them to the A&W cruise night on Thursday. A few things remain to be done but those can wait until winter; she is going to drive it now. Here are some particulars: rebuilt front suspension with Granada-type front spindles, 4 wheel disc brakes, rebuilt trans and differential, lots of body work, new paint (not TBird), 360 Ford engine with Edelbrock Performer intake, Holly 4 bbl, mild cam, Classic Air A/C, vintage Centerline 15" wheels, and new soft top of course. All along this 3 year adventure (my first complete restoration) I had lots of help from many Squarebird members. Here is the list (not in any particular order): John Pizzi, Nyles, Dave Dare, Carl Heller, Ray C., RustyNCa, Restifier52, C4CLewis, arizona jack, dakota boy, joe johnston, dan levens, neil, sidewalk man, ford351c594, sherman, howard prout, richard honeycutt, yadkin, dk held, todd gilroy, steven kraemer, fuzz, anders, harry lepargneux. Thanks to you all for your help along the way. I hope to meet some of you someday. And, I will continue to be a Squarebird member. See you on the road; I'll be in the passenger seat!
    Attached Files
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Kim,

Great to see it finally finished. I envy your wife. She has a beautiful '59 convertible to show off. Hopefully she lets you drive it once in awhile. I'm glad that I was able to help you out a little bit. Good luck with it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• sidewalkman
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 14 2015

Congratulations, she is beautiful.
      Scott
      South Delta, BC, Canada
      1960 White T-Bird, PS, PB that's it
      Red Leather Interior!
      www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
      Thunderbird Registry #61266
      http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Kim, she is beautiful! Just Gorgeous! I see you went the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" AC kit route. How did that work for you? I have been working with Steve down in the Dominican Republic and Classic Auto Air as Steve is about to have the '66 version of that kit installed in his non-AC Flairbird in another week or so. Was there anything he should be aware of? His install will be a little different than yours because of it being a '66. Thanks for the kudu's to all of those who helped you. That is what this Forum is all about, fellow Tbirders helping fellow Tbirders get their Birds back on the road again to enjoy! I know you wife is going to have a blast driving friends and family around.

I am always looking for red Tbirds for the calendar. So if you have not had yours featured in the Squarebirds Calendar, please consider submitting it for consideration for the 2017 Calendar. The information on camera settings and posing her for calendar pix is in the Anything Goes Forum. I would be honored to consider her.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

Nice job Kim, and I bet it was hardly any work at all? LOL Been working on mine for the last 3 years and keep getting close, although I owned the car for more than 30 years.
          Glad to hear you'll be staying a Squarebird Member. Maybe one day we will get to meet. I've met quite a few Squarebird members and enjoyed each and every one.
          Nyles

Comment

• Ford351c594
            Experienced
            • Mar 6 2015

beautiful!!!! I'm....red.... with envy???

Comment

• Randy
              Experienced
              • Dec 21 2015

Awe-inspiring yes indeedy!!
              "You're never too old to become younger".! (M. West)
              Randy's Save the Bird Foundation in Beautiful Fallbrook, California

!.This is the Greatest Square on Earth.!

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Kim she certainly is a beauty I am sure that your wife will enjoy the cruising with the granddaughters and perhaps your self. Good stuff.
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• OX1
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by YellowRose
                  I see you went the Classic Auto Air "Perfect Fit" AC kit route. How did that work for you?
                  Curious about using the stock center vent and lower edge vents. That was my plan and CAA said they could make that work, but just curious if you have details or pics on how that went together.

I was also curious if AC goes to defroster vents in any way?
                  59-430-HT

Comment

• YellowRose
                    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Henry, I just talked with my contact at CAA and here is what he said. IF the car had the OEM AC unit in it, and they are replacing it with their "Perfect Fit" unit, they will use the center AC vent above the radio and NOT send out the lower vents with their "Perfect Fit" kit. Their kit also hooks up to the defroster vents to give you heat and air through them. If your Squarebird does NOT have OEM AC on it, they will send you the lower vents to be installed since there is no center AC vent. Again, they will hook up to the defroster so that you will have heat and air through them. You can go to the CAA website and download the appropriate installation instructions for your year of Tbird to look through them to see what all they do to install their system.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• kimmc
                      Experienced
                      • Mar 5 2014

Thanks everyone for your comments about "Ruby".

OX1 and Ray: Yes, I used the Classic Air kit designed for the Squarebirds. While our car had OEM A/C, I removed it and replaced it with a modern system. I elected to abandon the single air register above the radio and instead chose to go with the 4 small registers below the dash; 2 on the driver's side and 2 on the passenger's side. A couple of these can be seen in the picture I posted. I just thought the 4 registers might distribute the cold air better than the single one above the radio in the center of the dash. And yes, the kit comes with new plastic defroster vents and hose to connect these to the A/C--heater. You do lose most of the glove compartment space. The kit provides a smaller plastic one just large enough for that pair of gloves that never seem to be in there. If you have more questions or need some pictures, just post it here and I will get back to you. Kim Mc

Comment

• OX1
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Feb 10 2016

Appreciatte the info on the defroster, glad to hear it gets AC too.

My interest in the exact configuration of how the center vent is hooked up is that my 59 is non-AC, but my parts car is factory AC (so I have chrome vent for in dash).

But I don't have vent ducting (see pic) and would prefer not to buy it. Wanted to see pictures of exactly how factory center vent gets connected.

Originally posted by YellowRose
                        Henry, I just talked with my contact at CAA and here is what he said. IF the car had the OEM AC unit in it, and they are replacing it with their "Perfect Fit" unit, they will use the center AC vent above the radio and NOT send out the lower vents with their "Perfect Fit" kit. Their kit also hooks up to the defroster vents to give you heat and air through them. If your Squarebird does NOT have OEM AC on it, they will send you the lower vents to be installed since there is no center AC vent. Again, they will hook up to the defroster so that you will have heat and air through them. You can go to the CAA website and download the appropriate installation instructions for your year of Tbird to look through them to see what all they do to install their system.
                        Attached Files
                        59-430-HT

Comment

• OX1
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Feb 10 2016

WOW!!, I didn't know about the glove box. That is really the only storage place inside the entire car.

Thanks for info on vents, I could only see two in your pics, so I thought maybe you hooked up center vent.

Originally posted by kimmc
                          Thanks everyone for your comments about "Ruby".

OX1 and Ray: Yes, I used the Classic Air kit designed for the Squarebirds. While our car had OEM A/C, I removed it and replaced it with a modern system. I elected to abandon the single air register above the radio and instead chose to go with the 4 small registers below the dash; 2 on the driver's side and 2 on the passenger's side. A couple of these can be seen in the picture I posted. I just thought the 4 registers might distribute the cold air better than the single one above the radio in the center of the dash. And yes, the kit comes with new plastic defroster vents and hose to connect these to the A/C--heater. You do lose most of the glove compartment space. The kit provides a smaller plastic one just large enough for that pair of gloves that never seem to be in there. If you have more questions or need some pictures, just post it here and I will get back to you. Kim Mc
                          59-430-HT

Comment

• byersmtrco
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Sep 28 2004

THAT is sweet !!!!!!!
                            My favorite color combo for a Sq/Bird
                            I regret not painting mine red when I
                            had the chance. Not doing a repaint now.

But that is great. I have some Q's.
                            I'll PM you

John

Comment

• kimmc
                              Experienced
                              • Mar 5 2014

To OX1: You commented about the lost glove box space with the Classic Air A/C system. I am attaching 2 pictures to show you the difference between the OEM box and the one that comes with the A/C kit. Enough room for the vehicle registration and insurance docs!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎