No announcement yet.

Gas tank RUST...Restore or Replace...Need some opinions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank RUST...Restore or Replace...Need some opinions

Well had the fuel filter changed to day...Good move on my part, they drained it into a bottle for me..ICED TEA looks better than what came out of that tank.., espeially if you filter out the flakes or rust.,..Well here is the delemia, I have read about companies that media blast the gas tank inside and out and then recoat and it will last longer than me.....This way i keep the original tank, replace the straps and fuel sender etc. Pay for the labor to remove and reinstall and shipping to get the blast....or get a reproduction tank, straps, fuel sender etc and have that all installed, undercoat and say thank you sir what do i owe you to the mechanic who has been working on my car.,..thoughts please??
    Mark

RE: Gas tank RUST...Restore or Replace...Need some opin

If it were me, I would replace the tank. They are only about $150.00. I don't know how much it costs to have the old tank restored but I bet it's not really a big savings if any. Why replace the straps and sender if there is nothing wrong with them? I also would do it myself because it is an easy job. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Replace the tank. It is less work and the reprductions look exactly like the original including the drain plug.

If you seal your present tank, you will forever need to worry about the sealant coming loose.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
        Experienced
        • Dec 4 2002

I had a fuel tank sealed on a 65 mustang several years ago, I was getting crap back into the carb. within two weeks...get a new tank.

steve

1960 HT 390, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, Shorty Headers, 2-1/2" Exhaust and 3.70 Rear Gears
        390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

if your sending unit works, KEEP IT! Any number of the repros are poorly made and it might take you quite a while to get something that really functions properly. Checking its function can be done with a multimeter and the specs fairly easily and quickly.

John
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎