No announcement yet.

rough idle question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

rough idle question

Hi everyone, I've decided that I want to start working on my own car, so I have a question about a recent idling problem.

Last week, I drove my thunderbird for a good hour or two throughout the day, and it ran perfectly. Today when I drove it, it felt like it was going to die out at every stop light. When stopped, I put it in neutral and reved the engine up to make sure I could get home ok.

Anyway, I wanted some opinions on possible problems. Is it likely that all I have to do is adjust the idle or the timing?

thanks,
    Sallie
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: rough idle question

Check the operation of the choke. If it ran smoothly one day and then had problems on a shorter trip the next day, the choke flap on the carburetor is the likely culprit. It is either opening too fast or too slowly.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

What is the fix for a sticky choke? Will the carb rebuild kit fix this?

Comment

Remove your air cleaner..........and spray the flap with carb cleaner. Move it back and forth with your "gloved" hand to free it up. You may have to adjust it if its staying closed for too long. This is VERY easy to do...........but clean it first.

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

A complete carburetor rebuild will definitely fix this. One of the best rebuilders are http://www.ponycarburetors.com/main.asp . They specialize in our Ford 4100 carburetor.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢