X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimmc
    Experienced
    • Mar 5 2014

convertible deck keyed switch under dash

Maybe some convertible owners can enlighten me. Why is this switch needed? One must still exit the car to release the deck safety catch and lower or raise the top. Doesn't the deck lock perform the same function as the dash keyed switch? Is the dash keyed switch simply for safety or security? Can it be eliminated or bypassed and the deck lock used instead. This is my first TBird convertible and I am putting things back together. I checked the TRL and Search but couldn't find answers to this question. Thanks for your help. Kim Mc
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I'm sure the keyed lock is mainly for security reasons in case you have something valuable in the trunk. It's also a safety device as numerous times I've hit it by mistake and the trunk has popped open. I learned to always lock it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Howard Prout
      Experienced
      • Feb 11 2009

I'm wondering if a previous owner has modified the wiring on your car. Mine has only one switch for the trunk deck - and it is keyed. When the switch is unlocked it will release the trunk deck independently of anything else including the ignition switch. However locking it secures the trunk so you can leave valuables in the trunk knowing they are secure even though the top may be down.
      sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎