No announcement yet.

Cylinder head removal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head removal

I am in the process of removing the cylinder heads on my 390. I have all of the bolts removed for the intake manifold but, see the valve push rods go through the intake manifold. Do I need to remove them first to get the intake manifold off to remove the cylinder head off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, remove the push rods and mark where they came from and the orientation. I usually just use the lid of a cardboard box and push them in in order and mark the front of the engine on the lid.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

What is the procedure to remove the push rods. I read the service manual but they are not fully descriptive.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

They just pull right out. All they do is rest against the lifters. Did you remove the rocker arms from the heads.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Remove the distributor hold-down bolt and pull the distributor out. Remove both rocker covers. Remove both rocker shafts and pay close attention to the four bolts that hold them down because one is different and it needs to return to the same hole. Keep track of which rocker shaft assembly went to which bank. Follow John's direction about keeping your pushrods in order as you remove each one. Remove the intake manifold bolts and lift it up.

The cast iron intake manifold is VERY heavy. I use the help of my engine hoist. If you leave any pushrods before lifting the intake manifold, you WILL bend the pushrods and the manifold will not come out.

Here are pictures of an old 390 teardown. CLICK HERE

Originally posted by jopizz
          ...I usually just use the lid of a cardboard box and push them in in order and mark the front of the engine on the lid.
          The last time I found a fishing 'honey hole' I wanted to be sure I came back to the same place, so I marked an "X" on the side of the boat. When I got home my son washed the boat, including the "X". Now, I'll never remember where that spot was. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Dave:
            I seem to remember in your post about cleaning the rocker arm shaft assemblies, that you noted there was a notch marked in the end of the shaft and I think you said it should go in the 5 Oclock position. I looked at a set of rockers and never did find the notch. Is this critical?
            Nyles

Comment

Okay am starting to understand now. I only see 4 bolts on top of the rocker arm assembly on each cylinder head. Do i remove those and then the rocker arm covers? What physically holds the rocker arms covers on so i can remove them to pull out the push rods to remove the intake manifold?

Comment

• Astrowing
                Experienced
                • Jul 22 2009

all 8 rocker arms are on the rocker arm shaft they come out as one big assembly when you remove the 4 bolts ford recommends removing and installing these 4 bolts in several steps to avoid possibly bending shafts recommend you diassenble and clean the shafts get a copy of the manual to see how it all fits together the manifold weighs 85 pounds i used a chain hoist in the barn remove the hood for easier access
                sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Tbird1044
                  Dave:
                  I seem to remember in your post about cleaning the rocker arm shaft assemblies, that you noted there was a notch marked in the end of the shaft and I think you said it should go in the 5 Oclock position. I looked at a set of rockers and never did find the notch. Is this critical?
                  Nyles
                  Nyles, this notch is only found on OEM shafts. The notch is covered in the Shop Manual:

Here it is on my 390 shafts:

Aftermarket shafts do not have the notch.
                  Is it critical? No, it's just an indication that the oil holes are at the bottom. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎