This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road
Default FYI - 59 production rate in Nov. 58

I shot some pictures of 5 junk yard Squarebirds that I will post soon. I included pictures of the data plates and found that the VIN number on one of the 59's is only 383 higher than mine. The date code on mine is 10L (a Tuesday), and the date code on the junk yard car is 13L (a Friday). So that's 383 cars produced in 3-4 days.

Vern
Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

sounds reasonable... I believe there were about 38,000 58 TBirds made (rounded off) and if I assume that there are about 250 work days in a year, then that comes out to about 150 cars produced per day.

150 brand new Squarebirds out the door every day...just imagine!!!

John
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road

John, I wonder what the numbers are like now - how much have we progressed? Then you could go futher, how many staff back then compared to now, and the ultimate question how many cars per day per staff member?

I bet the results would be startling, and a little bit frightening......
Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post

150 brand new Squarebirds out the door every day...just imagine!!!

John
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 08-04-2008 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

I see something very interesting in that photo.

Look at the slanted headlights on car behind the T-Bird --- is that a Lincoln.

If so, would that be a photo of the Wixom assembly plant where they assembled the T-Birds with the 430 engines?
Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Yes, that's a '60 Lincoln. All TBirds and Lincolns were built at the same plant in Wixom.
Looks like they're assembling the bumpers.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Wouldn't u like to time travel back to when/where that picture was taken Bart? Just image what we could find in a few of those parts boxes in the background.... LOL!!!

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Don't you know that when they closed down that Wixom plant, there HAD to have been some old stuff laying around in the old inventory that got trashed.

I restored a 64 Corvair and went around to these little town dealerships with my parts book, and they would come up with these old dusty boxes from the back room with NOS stuff.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Experienced

LuckyJay is on a distinguished road
Smile

I notice a couple of things. First, look at the similarity of the downward swoop design in the side of both the bird and the lincoln. I had not recalled that detail til now. Also, there appears to be 2 more birds on line after the Lincoln. All of them are light colored. If that shot is from Aug 13 1960, one of them could be our Tami T-Bird.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Experienced

vernz is on a distinguished road

Speaking of parts laying around, my father was an auto mechanic. He had his own shop and did a lot of work on antiques. One day he asked me to help him pick up some old parts at a salvage yard where he knew the owner well. The salvage yard had a building that stored rebuilt parts and he was going to scrap all the old stuff, so he was giving my father in law anything he wanted. This was in the early 70's. We filled the back of his pickup truck with rebuilt fuel pumps, alternators and carburetors and could have made two more trips if he wanted to. There was a pile of stuff from the 50's. I have no idea what ever happened to it all.

Vern