X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inheritance
    Apprentice
    • Aug 2 2007

Wheel adapter spacing question

I'm putting 17" late model cobra wheels on my 59, and i am ordering the spacer/adapters from this website. http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Ada...5450-5450f.htm

It asks wether i need the stock, 1 inch spacer, or if i would like an 1-1/4, etc.

I wanted to ask before i purchase, but how much space do i need?

Thanks in advance
    59 - 390 Super Marauder- Hickory Tan Registry= http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33831
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

What's the difference in backspacing between your stock wheels and the new ones? You only need space for the new wheels to clear your spindles/A-arms. Too much space, and the tire will rub on the wheel well lip while turning up a driveway.

You're departing from stock by a lot and '17" wheels' doesn't tell me much. How wide are they? What tire size are you using?

If the tire is too wide, it won't fit between the quarter panel and the rear axle.

A good tire store will try different combinations for you until they find something that works. Places that sell wheels usually sell spacers, too. I never needed any more than 1/2" spacer for the fronts only.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• inheritance
      Apprentice
      • Aug 2 2007

Originally posted by simplyconnected
      What's the difference in backspacing between your stock wheels and the new ones?
      Hmmm... not real sure. The wheels i had before were 14x6 Keystone Classics, the new wheels are OEM 96-98 SVT Cobra Mustang wheels.
      You're departing from stock by a lot and '17" wheels' doesn't tell me much. How wide are they? What tire size are you using?
      The Cobra wheels are 17x8 inches and im using a 245/45/17 tire.
      If the tire is too wide, it won't fit between the quarter panel and the rear axle.
      I didn't have much trouble getting the rear wheels and tires installed, just jacking the body up high enough to get some clearance. I'm working on the fronts now.

I suppose i'll just order their smallest spacer, which is 1 inch in diameter. That should give me enough room. Thanks for your help Dave.
      59 - 390 Super Marauder- Hickory Tan Registry= http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33831

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Sounds like you are doing what i did, you might search through all posts I made and see if I made mention of what I am running (since I can't really remember what it was I did..... )

Cheers
        RustyNCA

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Here's Inheritance's car with new wheels:

Sure does look sharp!
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• dgs
            Super-Experienced
            • Feb 13 2003

Personally, I don't think those wheels fit the style of the car, but to each his own. Would love to see a pic of the whole car, though.

FWIW - (and I know I'm a bit late) my 17" x 8" Boyds are zero offset, so whatever spacer you need to put the mounting surface in the center of the wheel width should work fine.

The 245/45R17s that you're running are 3/8" wider and about 1.5" shorter than my 235/55R17s.
            DGS (aka salguod)
            1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
            www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎