X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danowens3
    Experienced
    • Dec 29 2005

Bolt Pattern

Can someone let me know what the bolt pattern for wheels is for a 1960 T Bird Hardtop w/ 352?
    Thanks,
    Dan
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Bolt Pattern

Squarebirds had 14 x 5.5 inch wheels with 5 lug 4.5 inch spacings.

This page shows you how to measure the the lug spacing: http://www.dutchmanms.com/dutchmanorders.pdf .

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• danowens3
      Experienced
      • Dec 29 2005

Alexander,

In my parts manual it has the wheels listed as either 8.0 x 14-4 or 8.5 x 14-4. What does 14 x5.5 mean? I thought the 8 meant the tires were 8 inches wide. Does 5.5 mean they were only 5.5 wide. I looked at tires and rims today and want to go with 15" rims and 8" wide tires, but now I am concerned with my choice. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

• Alexander
        Webmaster
        • Oct 30 2002

14 x 5.5 refers to the diameter and width of the wheel rim. With a tire of measurement 8.00 x 14-4, 8.00 refers to the nominal width of tire (not the width of the tread), the 14 refers to the rim diameter it fits on and 4 refers to how many plys the tire had. Good tires in the nineteen-fifties had 4 or 6 plys.

15 inch wheels will work on a Squarebird. Some of the people on this board have more experience with puting wide tires on Squarebirds. I know the rear wheels can be tough to remove and install even using a stock tire.

Alexander
        1959 Hardtop
        1960 Golde Top
        Alexander
        1959 Hard Top
        1960 Golde Top
        sigpic

Comment

• dgs
          Super-Experienced
          • Feb 13 2003

Just discoverd this thread. I've got 8" wide wheels on my bird, but in 17" diameter. They fit fine, no rubbing up front and I still use the skirts. I haven't had them off since I go them so I can't comment on how hard they are in the rear. I know they went on at the tire store (Discount Tire) just fine. I'm running P235/55R17 tires.

15" x 8" might be harder as you'd have to lift the tires farther up into the wheel well to clear the drum to inside of the rim, if that makes sense. There are also some suspension points up front that are inside my wheel diameter that might not be on 15". I will tell you that if you go 8" wide, you'll need a zero offset wheel to clear eveything. That means the mounting surface of the wheel is in the center of the width.

Here's a picture of mine:

DGS (aka salguod)
          1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
          www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍