X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Irregular idle and fluctuating above idle

Sometimes it was idling fine, but yesterday it didnīt want to idle at all, had to keep my foot on the accelerator all the time. So it was time for some carburetor clean-up. Checked youtube yesterday for some tips on cleaning the Edelbrock 1405, but seemed to be quite straight forward. Tackled it this morning, before going to work. Found some debris in both float chambers and some piece of a rag blocking the left idle jet. Cleaned it all up and blew some air through all the jets and openings. Cleaned the idle mixture screws and the main mixture needles (is this the right name?).
    Could just idle it for some minutes before heading to work, but what a difference. Now it idles like a dream and accelerates smoothly. Tomorrow morning will take it for a ride and see how it behaves on the road.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

Do you have a fuel filter in line somewhere. If not I would recommend putting one in. Much easier to change a filter than take the carb apart to clean it.
    Nyles

Comment

• partsetal
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 4 2005

As Nyles said, a filter is needed especially if your gas tank has been on the car for a while. An inline filter just before the pump will save you from many fuel related problems. Strange to find a piece of rag in the carb.
      Carl

Comment

• Frango100
        Experienced
        • May 2 2016

There is an inline filter just before the pump, only have no idea when that was changed for the last time. The car came with an almost new fuel tank, so that should be ok. I didnīt look that good into it, but is there also a filter under the fuel pump itself? It looks at least as a filter bowl.
        sigpicFrank

Comment

I've learned a $20 Vacuum gauge is a very good friend!

Comment

• Frango100
            Experienced
            • May 2 2016

I have a double vacuum gauge for my motor cycle, which i used to regulate the idle mixture screws.
            sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
              There is an inline filter just before the pump, only have no idea when that was changed for the last time. The car came with an almost new fuel tank, so that should be ok. I didnīt look that good into it, but is there also a filter under the fuel pump itself? It looks at least as a filter bowl.
              The original fuel pumps did have a glass bowl at the bottom with a filter inside. The external filters of today are probably much more effective.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

The birds engine is working wonderfully and the sound it makes put a smile on my face. I only have some strange transmission behaviour, for which i opened another thread.
                Filled the gas tank yesterday, whereafter a large fuel leak started.. Found the rubber gasket from the level sensor split in two. Will tackle that tomorrow during my day off.
                sigpicFrank

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎