X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tarps3
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 21 2003

radiator problems

If you've seen my previous posts, you know I've had a heck of a time with my power steering on my '60 hardtop. It had pretty much taken the car out of commission for the entire summer.
    The good news is that it's fixed now! yea.

The bad news is that my radiator bit the big one tonight on the way home from a cruise.

Does anyone have a source for a new radiator to fit these cars? Does anyone reproduce them or can a newer model be used? I have the 352 in it - no air.

help.

Casey
    '60 TBird hardtop
    '64 Galaxie convertiblex(
    Casey
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: radiator problems

When you mean "bit the big one," what do you mean?

Any good radiator shop can put in a new core for your radiator.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

If you need to replace your radiator, contact this company to see if their radiator is new, used or recored:

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

I parked the car and, out of habit, looked under the front end for power steering fluid.
        I saw a pretty steady stream of antifreeze coming out of the passneger side of the radiator.
        Looks like the upper outlet has split (the metal part - not the hose). It probably needs re-cored as well because the bottom of the radiator is green from oxidation and looks to have leaked previously.

If I have to get it re-cored, I assume I have to take the thing out of the car myself. I've never had to re-core one before. Is it hard to remove the radiator from these cars?

This car is making me scared to drive it - every time I go somewhere, something goes wrong.

thanks
        Casey

Casey

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

The radiator is easy to remove from these cars.

[ol][li]Drain the cooling system.

[li]Disconnect the transmission oil cooling lines. Use a 5 sided flare wrench, not an ordinary wrench. An ordinary wrench may round and distort the flare nuts.

[li]Remove the fan and spacer.

[li]Remove the upper and lower radiator support bolts.

[li]Remove the radiator.[/ol]

Don't worry about driving your car. As you fix it up, it will become more reliable.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

• 1960Bird
            Experienced
            • Dec 4 2002

Alexander is right about removing the radiator. The only problem I encountered was my bottom hose. I had to cut it off, other then that no big deal. As far as your car problems...remember these cars are 40+ years old, unless you have replaced everything on them you will have some problems now and then. The main thing is to drive and enjoy your car. If it breaks, just fix it

Steve Ronk
            Cedar Rapids, Iowa
            1960 HT
            390, Mild Cam, Headers, 3.70 rear, 2-1/2" Exhaust, Edelbrok Performer RPM Intake, Holley Street Avenger 670 Carburetor, One Wire Alt, Petronix Ignition. She's All Go and No Show.

Comment

• tarps3
              Super-Experienced
              • Jul 21 2003

thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I guess I have gotten a little spoiled with my '64 Galaxie.
              The thing is bullet-proof! I've never had a problem with it and it has more mileage than the TBird. This TBird just seems to be very finicky and delicate for some reason. Don't get me wrong - I love the thing, but sheesh!

I usually take this stuff in stride, but it would be nice to drive it for just a little while before something else goes wrong. It has just been one thing after another for the past 4 months. I've had quite a few "classic" (old) vehicles over the years, but I've never had a "series" of events like I've had recently. I haven't had a chance to drive it much since the power steering repair (working looong hours). I was looking forward to Friday ALL week to take the girl out and show it off. Then this. It was just a tough week all around I guess. I'll stop whining now and start removing that radiator!

Thanks again for all the input and support!
              I'll be back rolling soon!

Casey
              '60 TBird hardtop
              '64 Galaxie convertible
              Casey

Comment

You shouldn't have any problem getting your radiator recored. I had mine done about two years ago and it cost $238.00 at a local shop. I remember the owner telling me that the cores were readily availabe. My car sat unused for over 34 years with same antifreeze in it. It didn't leak until I flushed the system, then it looked like a garden sprinkler! Get your car fixed and enjoy it. Good luck.

Comment

You might change your thermostate since you got it apart there one that cost $11 call Sure Safe (I think) Ask your local parts shop to look at the list -- Its normally the most expensive! But worth it and heat probally had something to do with radiation spliting and I have a lot of experience with radiations - and water pumps and thermostates. Did the weather change at all when the happened?

Comment

• tarps3
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jul 21 2003

I replaced the T-Stat when I reworked the expansion tank. It was one of the more expensive ones available and seems to work fine.

I drove the car Friday night after work. The outside temperature was around 70 degrees or so. I parked it and visited with some relatives for a couple of hours. During that time the outside temperature dropped about 10-12 degrees to around 58 to 60 degrees (maybe cooler).
                    Then I drove it home and noticed the leak when I parked it - it didn't leak at the relative's house (I looked under the car and didn't see a drop of anything).

It is leaking at the seam where the upper radiator outlet is welded to the radiator body. I haven't done anything else with it since. I did however drive it Sunday afternoon when the temperature outside was in the mid to upper 80's. I wanted to warm it up to see exactly where the leak was.
                    It didn't really leak that time - go figure. There was a little drop of green fluid on that seam after I parked it but it didn't leak enough to run out or anything.

I'm not sure what to do now. Every time i work on something that really isn't that bad, I end up really messing something up and wishing I had just left it alone.
                    Any thoughts?
                    I was thinking about pulling the radiator out tonight and taking it to the shop.
                    Do you think I still should do that??

Casey
                    '60 TBird hardtop
                    '64 Galaxie convertible
                    Casey

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡