1960 panel identity

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1960 panel identity

Hi Guys,
    I know we all speak English but I need help identifying a panel and then finding one if possible.
    The panel I am looking for is between the rear glass and the trunk lid. I have found the trunk lid also called the rear deck, over here in the UK we would call it the boot lid.
    Anyway it is a sheet metal panel, I believe it would be welded in, possibly the rear glass rubber (or gasket) would be mounted on it also.
    The Vehicle is a 1960 HT.
    I have looked on most of the Vendors listed on the forum but short of calling (international time differences) I am finding it difficult.
    many thanks in advance,
    Mal
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I'm pretty sure this piece bolts on.

Look in your trunk and you should see some nuts that can be removed.

I have not removed mine. Yet.
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• yellow98cobra
      Experienced
      • May 28 2012

it is called the outer back panel and attaches with bolts from inside the trunk( Boot) (section 14-10 1960 ford thunderbird service manual). You will have to find it on the used market
      Yellow98Cobra
      1960 Thunderbird HT
      Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
      There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
      http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

1960 panel identity

Mal, check with Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here. Carl has lots of Squarebird parts and also Squarebird parts cars. He may have what you need. Also check with the guys at The Bird House in Delaware, and The Bird Nest in Oregon. They also have used parts, and parts cars.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
        The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
        Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
        Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
        https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Panels like this are spot welded to larger pieces so they quickly become part of the sub-assembly. The ends (45120 & 1) are also part of this sub assembly.

In order to get another OEM panel, it must be cut away from another car body.

Here is your part with the specific Ford Part Number (B8S 6340290-A) at the bottom.
          Click on the picture for a printable image.
          Hope this helps - Dave
          Last edited by simplyconnected; December 5, 2013, 05:50 PM.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Dave, that part 40290 is the underside, which as you say is now permanently welded in place. The piece that Uk is looking for sits on top of that, and attaches to it with bolts.

EDIT: I rarely edit someone else's post unless an oversized picture is involved, but I resurrected this one because it is valuable to us all. Sorry for intruding Greg, but it's a valid post.
            REASON: UK MAL may not know which piece he needs. He may not know two pieces exist. I posted this because he requested,"...Anyway it is a sheet metal panel, I believe it would be welded in, possibly the rear glass rubber (or gasket) would be mounted on it also." What components are actually there? Without UK MAL's pictures, I don't know. Thanks, Greg. - Dave
            Last edited by simplyconnected; December 9, 2013, 02:17 PM.
            http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

Originally posted by Dakota Boy
              I'm pretty sure this piece bolts on.

Look in your trunk and you should see some nuts that can be removed.

I have not removed mine. Yet.
              I have one laying loose inside one of the squarebirds I have sitting in my yard. I also have a couple doors as well, I'm pretty sure they are free of rust, but they aren't perfect.

Cheers

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

There are a few parts that is screwed to the body, under this panel, that need to be there as well. Some kind of support. Some are directed towards the glass / rubber sealing, and some towards the rear. The pics are just after removing them, so I can remember how it looked, when I put the car back. The first pic shows the only rust hole I have in the whole car. Itīs also easy to see that the screws are going in / under the trunk, up into the panel. There was also some rubber gaskets and body puty to keep it from vibrations. Itīs a real dirt pocket.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Anders; December 9, 2013, 05:54 PM.
                sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎