No announcement yet.

electric power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

electric power steering pump

Hi all, this ones probably a little unusual but Ive been having a think about power steering pump options with the windsor motor and I've had a couple of people mention using an electric pump, easily sourced here in Australia.
    Would this work with the thunderbird steering setup.
    Thanks Chris
  • Restifier52
    Experienced
    • Jul 26 2011

I didn't even know this existed! I really have to start paying attention. The Street Rodder Magazine article I just looked at says Electra-Steer by Unisteer Performance products is available for vehicles 2800 pounds or less. My car weighs about 4000 pounds. Maybe some fiberglass panels and acid dipping the body like the factory race cars of the Big Three back in the 60s
    1960 HT
    Thunderbird Registry #35780

Comment

Yeah they do. In Australia a common conversion is a pump out of a Holden astra. Holden is basically Chevy or opel.
      Plenty of guys use them on reasonably big cars here with success.
      I'm actually more interested in weather or not the thunderbird steering would be compatible with this type of setup.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The theory behind power steering pumps hasn't changed much over the years. Fluid is pumped under pressure to the power steering components and it's returned non pressurized. I would think as long as it puts out enough pressure it would work.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

My '12 Jeep uses an electric pump, presumably to save fuel. It's only on when it needs to be. So Mopar is another potential source for your pump.

Late model Mustangs have all electric power steering, and don't use hydraulics at all.

Comment

Excellent guys, thanks. I think this might be the way to go. I'll need to do a little more research, probably more from the electrical side of things.
            I know they draw around 80amps on startup, need to find out what they run at as they constantly run and then make sure my charging system will cope with thermo fans etc.
            Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎