No announcement yet.

New rebulid 352 cam choice

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rebulid 352 cam choice

I was asked if I wanted to upgrad the cam in my 352, the thing is I don't know what I would ask for, what would be a good upgrade to an engine that already has 300 hp from the factory? any thoughts?:9
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: New rebulid 352 cam choice

There are really not too many choices for a pre-1963 352 camshaft. You might get lucky and find an old stock high performance camshaft, but they have not been produced in decades.

You can get a 1963 and later camshaft, but you would need to drill the block for a thrust plate and use the later timing gears.

You do not want to get a too wild camshaft or one that uses solid lifters, unless you are ready to deal with decreased drivability at low speeds and the requirement for frequent adjustments.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Ihave been reading about a dual pattern cam that crane has for the 352 it's power range is from 2,000 to 5,000. The only reason I am looking at these is because the car is so heavy. The lift and duration are 216/228 533/563 anyone ever use this in a T-bird? The dual pattern cams have good pull or "torque in the power range" I am not into racing my bird however I want it to roll nice.I will have to ask about drilling or adding a thrust plate.

Comment

• byersmtrco
        Super-Experienced
        • Sep 28 2004

Sounds like a good cam. I'm running the orig 352 timing cover on my 390, so that upgrade he mentioned is a piece of cake. Be careful with comp ratio. 352's were 10-1 out of the box. You surface those heads and that goes up. Iy WON'T run on pump gas. Open the chambers up a little.

Run the Edelbrock 635 cfm carb to (if you want it to run good)

John

Comment

In general, improvements in performance and potentially fuel economy can be gained - without sacrificing drivability - by upgrading your cam.
          "Comp Cams" sells the Squarebird vintage camshafts in various grinds and will also grind them to your specs. They provide good tech advice, which I recommend.

Crane does not sell a Squarebird vintage cam.

Comment

Your right they don't sell a vintage cam for square birds, I talked to the engine rebuilder today and he said the cam I quoted to him was for bracket racing to much for a cruzer. Iam glad I read the posts here as I want drivibility over all that rough dle nonsense from my youth. The cam he ordered for me will help in gas mileage as well as give the car better throttle response.Who would have thought going one or two steps up is better then 5.x(

Comment

• byersmtrco
              Super-Experienced
              • Sep 28 2004

Looks like I may have to recant on this S & S engine place. Now they're saying they're going to deny the warr claim after all. Now that they've been stroking me for two months saying they were going to reimburse Santa Clara Automotive for the R & R time. The guys there did a leakdown test. It had at least 30 % leakdown in 5 of the 8 cylinders. It smoked like a pig. They disassembled it and found nothing wrong. It doesn't seem to smoke now that it's back in. Hmmm.

More to follow I'm sure. I'm just glad I still have my (never been bored out) 69' 390 eng. Definently a keeper. May just have to round up a 428 crank and have the whole thing balanced 352 flexplate and all. A nice 410 "stroker motor" would be cool. It was the original plan anyhow. We'll see, this S & S 390 still may be ok.

JB

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎