Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbf777
    Experienced
    • Jan 9 2016

Question (Jon): when you placed the newly acquired thrust plate to the face of the block, will the provided bolt holes within the plate align with the two gallery holes (so called 11 o'clock & 4 o'clock) simultaneously, forget the larger cam/gear center holes alignment in this inquiry? Yes........No?

If so, the next question I would ask, is to establish the sum of the deviation and direction the larger center hole in the thrust plate is from the camshaft center location with the bolt holes aligned w/ the gallery orifices.

Perhaps, since you initiated the line drawing program, may I suggest doing a somewhat accurate tracing to paper of the thrust plate holes (external profile unimportant), using a very sharp point pencil and light effort making fine lines, closely following the I.D. profile of each hole maintaining the relationship between one another, so as to minimize the difference in the actual material dimension vs. depicted. Then with straight edge draw a connecting line between the two bolt holes intersecting but not bisecting the outside radii, and then additional line @ 90° of the previous, to present an "X" & "Y" axis reference lines for measurement within this plane, and establishing the location of the larger, center, camshaft hole in reference to the bolt holes, also providing the diameter of each hole. Got-it!

Now, communicate such, and perhaps someone (perhaps myself) can make head or tails of it, and compare your supplied dimensions to examples available and determine right from wrong? This may not sound very accurate, but with diligence on your part, the values can be well within the requirements, as the thrust plate demonstrates excessive movement and possible dislocation beyond the inaccuracies required in your effort.

If your game, I'll play!

Scott.

Scott.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Simply, lay the plate down with a scale and take a few pictures.

We normally talk in terms of, 'hole centers'. Ex: What is the distance (center to center) of the mounting bolt holes? Let the scale show that.

When installed, the thrust plate's center hole must clear the rotating cam's dowel pin. What is the diameter of the center hole?

Finally, if you draw a line from the centers of the mounting holes, what's the distance from that line to the center of the thrust plate hole? (This is a perpendicular, right angle, measurement.)
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mh434
        Comfortably numb
        • Jan 10 2017

Scott

Sounds like a plan...I’ll take it into the office tomorrow and do a more accurate drawing. I will need the check the alignment of the fixing holes on Saturday. Appreciate the offer of assistance

Jon
        Jon
        Deepest Hertfordshire
        Old enough to know I'm right...
        1960 Hardtop T'bird
        1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• mh434
          Comfortably numb
          • Jan 10 2017

drawn with my very sharpest pencil...... (metric and imperial)
          Attached Files
          Jon
          Deepest Hertfordshire
          1960 Hardtop T'bird
          1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Looks close enough for me... Is this what you get when you lay the part on the block? If not, take a picture with a scale included (over the plate).
            It doesn't matter to me whether you use a metric scale or inch. - Dave
            Attached Files

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mh434
              Comfortably numb
              • Jan 10 2017

Thanks Dave

Nice use of the overlay there..! I will have a look tomorrow when I am next at the workshop.

thanks again

Jon
              Jon
              Deepest Hertfordshire
              1960 Hardtop T'bird
              1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• mh434
                Comfortably numb
                • Jan 10 2017

Dave, Scott et al

Apologies all round..!! Looks like I am up for "bell end of the week award". When you line the thrust plate up properly , it looks to be a good fit...
                photo from the outside shows it lined up, photo taken from inside the block looks ok and then the oily finger rubbed over the print confirms it.
                This is not the first time I have been wrong (I am married, I am reminded of my failings on a regular basis..!)

Jon
                Attached Files
                Jon
                Deepest Hertfordshire
                1960 Hardtop T'bird
                1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

No apologies necessary, Jon. I'm married as well... twice. The first one got me when I was extremely young (21) and dumb. The second one got me when my resistance was low. Of course, I agreed both times. My driver's license and my hunting license both, have expiration dates. I've looked all over my marriage license but can't find one.

Nice picture from inside #1 cam bearing.

When tapping the hole I do two things to keep metal chips out:
                  I put a magnet on the tap shank.
                  I try using a 'spiral tap' which curls the chips back instead of loading the tap reliefs.
                  For cast iron, I use water as a lubricant. Cast iron is already 2% carbon, which is a lubricant.

You're a good man, Jon. Many times we never hear back even though the problem was solved. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• mh434
                    Comfortably numb
                    • Jan 10 2017

Ha haaaa, love the comment about the marriage licence...
                    good tips about tapping the holes.
                    Jon
                    Jon
                    Deepest Hertfordshire
                    1960 Hardtop T'bird
                    1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

I gotta be careful what I say because Robin (my wife) is a member here. She's a good ol' girl, best I ever had but still, keep it under your hat or I'll spend another week in the dog house. It's freezing cold here, in Detroit. Yesterday, thousands were without power due to ice storms. Downed tree limbs brought power lines with them.

Luckily, I have an emergency generator that I can use in the dog house. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• pbf777
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 9 2016

Originally posted by pbf777
                        Also, be aware of the cross gallery drilling providing passage of oil from the front cam bearing to the 4 o'clock passage, as too long a fastener here will potentially restrict this oil delivery. Scott.
                        I'm glad you figured out the thrust plate issue. Sometimes, it's just a matter of not holding your head right.

Do be observant to the as stated previously of the above, and also as stated previously the fact that one may not acquire sufficient tread engagement of the O.E.M. fastener due to the boring/reaming diameter executed to receive the plug. I have established that generally a 9/16" x 18 thread permits a proper thread profile and engagement in order to accept torquing, but this can prove somewhat challenging to locate in a suitable configuration as required, so some modifications may be required for fitment.

Scott.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎