Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apelke
    • Sep 20 2011

Car Will not Start

My 65 Bird started just fine the other day when I backed it off the trailer but when I went to move it yesterday it would not even roll over. The battery has power but it sounds like neither the fuel pump or the starter is kicking in. Any suggestions?
  • redstangbob
    Experienced
    • Feb 18 2011

Unless you have an aftermarket electric fuel pump, you won't here one kick in Try lifting/playing with the shifter, if that helps then you need to address the wear in the shift tube bushings or linkage. Not sure how you determined the battery was fully charged but assuming it is, you could jump the starter solenoid and watch for sparks at the cable connections (make sure you're in park and the column is slid to the right). That should give you a place to start, good luck, Bob C

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by apelke
      ...when I went to move it yesterday it would not even roll over. The battery has power...
      First, let's elliminate the possibility of having dirty battery posts. They may work, then all of a sudden they don't. A bad ground cable will act the same way.

Turn on your headlights and see if they dim as you turn the key to start.

Can you hear the solenoid clicking? Is the shifter in Park or Neutral?

If you do hear the solenoid coming in, it's either a bad solenoid, your starter brushes are worn down, or the cable/connections to the starter is bad.

Make sure the car is in Park. If you could hear the solenoid click-in, try this test: 'Jump' around the solenoid with one battery cable. If the starter works, the solenoid is bad.

Hope this helps. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎