This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg View Post
...But as they all seems to have the same parts, do they all buy them from the same supplier? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Prout View Post
I live about a half hour from Mac's. I can vouch for what John says. When you call them, they check to make sure they have the item in stock...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
... so when I would phone in an order, I would then ask "could you verify for me that you really have that in stock?"...
Bottom line: you can't take anything for granted, have to be aggressive and have to ask questions...
Anders, some suppliers are the ONLY licensed manufacturers. Dennis-Carpenter makes lots of Ford parts, but oftentimes another supplier will sell those same parts cheaper (in the Dennis-Carpenter bag).

Carpenter used to make Y-Block rocker arm shafts (in a cardboard tube with "FORD" printed all over it. They sold for $16/ea. Now, nobody has them except a few companies that want $35/ea. Most companies want to slide the rocker arms on the shafts and sell them for $200.

I agree with all three of these MAC's accounts. The salesperson will actually get off their butt and look on the shelf. They will bring the part back to the phone to give measurements and answer questions, too. It's a nice service.

If you are a history buff, Lockport got its name because they are on the Erie Canal. MAC's is in Lockport, NY. Every summer, the town offers nostalgic cruises and events on and around the canal:
http://lockportontheeriecanal.com/
It's just a great-cozy little town 18 miles from Niagara Falls. I love this part of New York because it's so much like Michigan (lush with green, and plenty of freshwater lakes).

"I got an old mule and her name is, Sal...
15 miles on the Erie Canal..."-American Folk Song
- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Carpenter's is a name I don't hear often but my impression is that they actually make some parts thanks to owning original dies that Ford had. Dennis Carpenter? down south? That they are involved with the actual manufacture of something and not just a middle man is of interest.

Anders asked how many suppliers there really are and that is a good question, one that I have wondered about. Given the limited market for Squarebirds parts, you have to wonder how many people would go to the bother of setting up, for example, dies to make some of the pot metal based trim on my '58. There is a minimum number needed for any operation to make it worth the trouble.

One area to be cautious on: ignition points. If the price is too good to be true, beware! Some of the points I have seen from the TBird places don't deserve room at a lawn sale. Go with Accel or something high quality. The points have nothing to do with a TBird per se; they just go with an FE motor.

Low inventories: quite understandable. I don't mind someone not having something they list, as long as they have a concrete plan to get it once I order it. Once they have my money, I simply expect them to care and hold up their part of the bargain. If they tell me it will take two weeks, fine. But then I expect some action in two weeks or so. Everyone has a computer so emailing order status is an easy thing to do, provided someone gives a ****.

later: Dennis Carpenter is at: http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/cars.php

Last edited by JohnG : 01-31-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Living in NY I've also dealt with Mac's only (for about 20 yrs). They've been great. Last order was for a carb rebuild kit and the girl on the phone personally went to the warehouse while I was on hold to grab the last kit on the shelf to make sure I got it. Once they sent me wrong bearings, but replaced them quickly. They've got a great new free catalog and good website too. http://www.macsautoparts.com/birds.html

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Experienced

Gold Bird is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the tip about Mac's, sounds like my kind of place, customer service what a concept! Next time I will give them a call.
1960 Gold Bird, original owner since new. tbirdregistry #3158
Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco59 View Post
Living in NY I've also dealt with Mac's only (for about 20 yrs). They've been great. Last order was for a carb rebuild kit and the girl on the phone personally went to the warehouse while I was on hold to grab the last kit on the shelf to make sure I got it. Once they sent me wrong bearings, but replaced them quickly. They've got a great new free catalog and good website too. http://www.macsautoparts.com/birds.html
I guess the guy who phoned and asked about a carb rebuild kit 10 minutes after you donīt think there service is as good as you do...
See my point: They perhaps only have 1 in stock at a time.... ( JOKE!!!!!)

Now, I have tryed to get one of Macīs catalogues but they are the only one who donīt send. I then found out they charge for the catalogue ( no other vendor have asked money for it ), and mailed them and said Iīm willing to pay, but I didnīt recieve any answer at all...
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Last edited by Anders : 02-01-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I have several MAC's catalogues . . . send me your address and I will send you one.

John
Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM

Great thanks!! You got PM
Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Slow Typist

Something is wrong, Anders... Mac's offers international shipping and FREE catalogs (they have 10 different catalogs).

They also offer a PDF catalog. <--click here for the T-bird PDF catalog.

I don't know, maybe you got a wrong number. They have 22 phone lines. Go online and order your free catalog:
http://www.macsautoparts.com/birds.html

Here's their home page:
http://www.macsautoparts.com/index.html

--Lee Iacocca
Old 02-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Cīmon guys....
If you read it, it sayīs Free Catalogue, for US residents only.
Anyway, I mailed and was ( still is ) willing to 5 bucks each, and shipping. Didīt get any...
I didnīt phone to US for it, no, and I donīt want the PDF version either. I want to have it like a magazine. Thatīs all.

Last edited by Anders : 02-01-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 PM
Slow Typist

Wow! Don't ask me how I missed that, sorry. You're right... it's in big red letters, too.

I have the catalogs, but they always use the disclaimer for pricing. So, I end up looking online for the real price. As mentioned by others, I sometimes call for availability or tech support before ordering.

I didn't meant to undermine John and his kind offer. I must have assumed everyone gets free copies (so why pay and use snail-mail). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca