This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Experienced

60 T-Bird is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome question

I am going to chrome the "bird" ornament just forward of the hood, two pieces of the driver side mirror and the hood "scoop" which is pot metal. I received 2 quotes here in Northern Ca. One was $225 and the other $400. Both seemed high. Does anyone have a good, reasonable chromer contact? Shipping for those parts probably wouldn't break the bank.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Super-Experienced

Ca58tbird is on a distinguished road

Ray had once refered me to a shop in AZ that I have used several times for smaller and mailable items. I have been satisfied with their service and quality.

Papago Plating
2312 E. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
602-273-1408
papagoplating@qwest.net
Thunderbird Registry #3810 VTCI#7652
Old 01-26-2011, 05:26 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Have you considered new, reproduction pieces? Any chromed potmetal I have bought is first rate.

Also see elsewhere a thread on spray on chrome.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Contact www.archerchrome.com! They were at the swap meet last year in Louisville Ky. I looked at some of their work and it looked awesome. They even do pot metal and had some pieces there to show before and after!
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 01-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

The retail price on this 1960 hood bird is around 40.00, but is listed at not concourse quality. You might consider this rather than the rechrome or the repaint route.
Carl
Old 01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Martin there are some valid points made to the repro parts especially the emblem, as they are quite nice. The mirrors and hood scoop are a different matter and if you can get them rechromed ( quality finish ) for under $225, I would say go for it. Anytime you can get three (3) pieces rechromed ( again quality finish ) for about $75.00 a piece that's a good thing. I had the front / back bumpers, hood scoop, headlight plates and the valve covers done for $1500 two years ago and they turned out great.Just a suggestion, if your are getting the hood scoop chromed ( I would suspect for added accent ) have you considered your head light plates as well
58HT #33317
60 HT (Sold )
Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Experienced

Thank you for the suggestions and contact information, I will send pictures off to them tonight. Here are the items I wanted re-finished. I have a Harley and did alot of re-chroming last year. I had my primary, transmission and rocker covers done as well as lifter blocks, belt guard, coil and battery cover done for $500. This bird stuff represents about 1/5 of that conservatively. So I figured no more than $150. Of course prices here in Ca. never stop going up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jan 2011.jpg (396.3 KB, 170 views)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leavens View Post
Martin there are some valid points made to the repro parts especially the emblem, as they are quite nice. The mirrors and hood scoop are a different matter and if you can get them rechromed ( quality finish ) for under $225, I would say go for it. Anytime you can get three (3) pieces rechromed ( again quality finish ) for about $75.00 a piece that's a good thing. I had the front / back bumpers, hood scoop, headlight plates and the valve covers done for $1500 two years ago and they turned out great.Just a suggestion, if your are getting the hood scoop chromed ( I would suspect for added accent ) have you considered your head light plates as well
Thanks Dan...I'm trying to make Angelina a little different which is why I am only chroming the hood scoop. Wait until you see the color of the paint being done!
I tell ya...doing one of these cars, you end up being a contractor, interviewing people and weeding out the BSers. I'm not complaining too much. I'm really having a blast! The painter/body guy is allowing me to do grunt work on the car for him. He said with me helping it should take 2 weeks longer...
Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Super-Experienced and a really nice guy!

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Chrome question

All my chrome was done by Southwest Chrome in San Antonio. 210-658-8087. Tell them that you know me if you call them and remind them I am the guy with the '59 yellow Tbird. Their prices are quite reasonable and they have things done pretty fast. I have had things chromed for others outside the US, and I think they have been pleased with the results. I will tell you though, that chroming pot metal is problematic, and they told me so. I went through three air scoops to get one chromed that would fit and it still does not fit that well, but it is on. Also, the curved tail pieces in the rear are hard to chrome also. One of mine bent during chroming, but I was able to get it on. Keep that in mind.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
One of mine bent during chroming, but I was able to get it on. Keep that in mind.

YIKES!!! I think a little too much heat or current at the chromers.