X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toddgilroy
    Experienced
    • Aug 30 2014

Lower Ball Joint Options

Why do lower ball joint prices vary so much between the TBird vendors? Ranging from a low of $50/each to a high of $140/each leaves me wondering if there that much variation in quality/durability?

Any insight or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Todd Gilroy
    1960 Tbird Convertible
    Thunderbird Registry #54651
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would ask where it's manufactured before I spent $140. If it's made overseas you might as well buy the least expensive one.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

As we all know, prices are all over the map for Squarebirds and any classic cars. One has to do due diligence when ordering parts. Sometimes you just need to roll the dice and time will tell if it was a good or bad purchase. Hopefully, we can all benefit from feedback on parts, good and bad. I would check who is actually selling the part and see if you are comfortable with the company. The majority of parts are now made in Mexico, Taiwan or China. Napa Auto admits that their parts are made in China, but claim they closely monitor and QC the parts. I've always been pretty comfortable with Napa parts.
      Good luck and let us know how things work out.
      Nyles

Comment

• RustyNCa
        Super-Experienced
        • May 31 2007

Originally posted by toddgilroy
        Why do lower ball joint prices vary so much between the TBird vendors? Ranging from a low of $50/each to a high of $140/each leaves me wondering if there that much variation in quality/durability?

Thanks!
        I would try to get Moog joints first if they are out there. I can't remember if I was able to find them when I did the ball joints on our 58.

If the only source is from a specialty house and that company won't tell me who makes the part when I ask, I go elsewhere.

Comment

• toddgilroy
          Experienced
          • Aug 30 2014

I found Moog upper ball joints at a reasonable price from Rock Auto, but it seems the only lower ball joints the traditional auto parts stores carry are made by Rare Parts and are in the $140-$170 each range.

Any experiences with Rare Parts parts?
          Todd Gilroy
          1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Here is a MOOG Lower ball joint on EBay for $60 + S/h. You might contact seller and he if they will combine shipping costs on 2 parts.

Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Lower Ball Joint Options

I just spoke with Rare Parts http://rareparts.com/ regarding their company. Their company manufactures a lot of parts for our Tbirds in house. Or they get them from other major parts manufacturers. They specialize in shocks, struts, steering, gear, pump & components, suspension, springs and components. They also can manufacture parts in those areas of their expertise. They do not market things like interior parts, carbs, chrome parts, etc.. They have upper and lower ball joints, suspension parts, by Moog, McQuaid, and TRW, and much, much more. Many of the automotive parts houses, like O'Reilly's, Autozone, Napa, Advance and others, get their parts from Rare Parts. So if you were to go to one of them to get upper ball joints they are probably going to come from Rare Parts. They have been in the business for some 30 years and they said that if they don't have a part, they can match it, make it, or repair it! Take a look at their website, and look through it to see what all they have.

NOW, for the great news! I just got Squarebirds.org a 5% discount on ALL Rare Parts orders. When you order from them tell them that you qualify for the car club discount as you are a member of Squarebirds.org, the 1955-2005 Tbird Forum.. I just set that up for you!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• toddgilroy
                Experienced
                • Aug 30 2014

Ray - Thank you for working that discount.

Nyles - Thank you for looking, but it looks like that ball joint on eBay is for 1967-72 Tbirds.

I did find some Rare Parts lower ball joints on Amazon for a little better price.

Thanks!
                Todd Gilroy
                1960 Tbird Convertible

Comment

• Daleo56
                  Experienced
                  • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by toddgilroy

Thanks!
                  I am seeing the same difference. I see that Concours Parts has lower ball joints for $50, and Thunderbird Headquarters has them for $60 while Macs, Summit and even Amazon have the ball joints for $153.00!

Rare Parts has quite a selection of parts Thunderbird parts however their prices are crazy high if you buy direct. I can find their parts on Amazon for up to 1/3 the price. The Rare Parts lower ball joint 10112 which is $133 is only $98 on Amazon which is a little better but I am sure there are equivalent lower ball joints out there for around $50.

It might be that most suppliers use a OEM style ball joint and that is why the price is high. For my use I just want a good ball joint and do not care about original design.

I will keep checking with this post to see if another lower ball joint link is posted.
                  Tim Daleo
                  Azusa, California
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍