X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas Landau
    Apprentice
    • Mar 6 2007

No Reverse!

My reverse just quit working today; No slipping,growling,grinding,clunking, or fanfare. All the foreward gears work great, no linkage problems, fluid looks and smells fine, and topped off. It simply has no reverse.

My question is:has anyone installed a C6 in a 61-63 Thunderbird? I know I will need a driveshaft, but my main concern is the trans mount.

Thanks!
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

You probably have a cracked transmission case.

I know people have done this C6 conversion with the Squarebirds. The Rocketbirds are probably similar:

Bill Van Ess posted this on the Squarebirds newslist:

You can use the stock Squarebird transmission crossmember to use with the
    C6 transmission. All you have to do is mount the crossmember back one
    bolt hole. In other words, use the rear mounting hole for the front of
    the stock crossmember and then drill two new holes for the rear of the
    crossmember. You don't need to find a different crossmember. You also
    will need a newer style starter. I didn't change the flywheel when I did
    my conversion 26 years ago. You can use any C6 made for a big block. You
    can find them in any full sized Ford, T-Bird, Mercury or Lincoln. that
    had a 390 or 428 engine built after 1966. If I remember right, you may
    have to have the driveshaft shortened a little bit also.
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Cruise-O-Matic to c6 conversion

There is a good post here on the VTCI site on how to put a C6 in a 1961. Unfortunately all the great photos he posted are no longer viewable. http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.or...opic.php?t=355

Posted by ValveTubeHead:

The devil in the details

Glad you asked Alan...there are a few details to discuss.
      Sorry, so many photos, I just grabbed the first few I came across without giving the continuity they deserve.

The cross-member is hybrid '61 tbird c/m + '66 tbird C6. I wanted to retain and use the original x-member mounting tabs used for c/m. The tangs on the hybrid x-member are from the c/m. The center portion, including the E-brake stand off (without modification) are directly from '66. The x-member mounting holes for the C6 are about 3" aft of c/m and so the center C6 section is centered and relocated this difference (a little box tubing stock and several gussets). As mentioned, my little concern regarding driveshaft alignment...I suspect a few shims would solve any issue. Note some of the clearance issues associated with the C6 case/pan and x-member when relocating...a few mid course corrections were performed, probably could have been avoided if planned better.

I'll post a few pix of the flat stock linkage mod to make the connection. It's so simple, its ridiculous. On the '66 tbird, there is a bellcrank widget used to complete the linkage. The clearances in this area are tight...and the '66 requires the bell crank...however, the '61 cannot accommodate it without modification to associated '66 linkage and bellcrank it self. Longstoryshort...don't bother with the bellcrank. Use the '61 column shift linkage, '66 C6 gear select armature and flatstock (or similar) extension tab mod.

I need to recheck the kickdown situation...been a while since I trial fitted it. I'll follow up.

A kit would be simple...the cross-member would be easy enough to fab from scratch...however, I think the tunnel bracing is different in '64-66 so may be slightly different x-member mod...and for that matter, linkage. I suspect the bellcrank would work for the flairbird guys.

The more illusive component is the '66 tbird C6 gear select arm. As far as I can tell, most of the C6 arms are significantly different.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• Texas Landau
        Apprentice
        • Mar 6 2007

Thanks, folks!

I was able to view the photos using the link. It seems to be a pretty straightforeward swap, a little welding on to the trans mount and a linkage fab is all. I already have a later model starter and flywheel (I dropped my c/m 3 times to figure the combo out lol!) and I have a C6. It is nearly identical in length to the c/m, but the mount is in a different place. I think I can extend my mount.....or I may just have a c/m rebuilt, as I have a couple extra ones laying around.

Thanks again for the great help!

Randy

Comment

How'd that C-6 conversion go?

I read your post from '07...I'm getting ready to do a C6 in my 1960 Convertible. I'd love any suggestions or info you can give me.
          Thanks;
          John

PS..anyone who reads this and has info, please respond.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎