Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 60 birdman
    • Aug 25 2014

Power steering problems 1960 Bird

I am needing a little help. I blew the seals on the power steering valve and instead of rebuilding it I replaced it with a rebuilt unit. I also replaced the return hose (had one made at a hose shop) and changed one pipe to the cylinder with a hose also made at a hose shop. Since then the power part of the power steering does not work below 2000 rpm. The pump is a rebuilt unit that was working before the blow out and the cylinder is a new unit from about a year ago, also working before the blow out. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
    I am going to exchange the valve for a different one to see if that helps unless someone has a better idea.

Thanks
    Leonard
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Where did you get the rebuilt unit at? Most places require that you send in your old unit to rebuild. Control valves are very tricky to rebuild so I would suspect that's your problem. The hoses shouldn't cause the kind of problem you are having. When you replaced the valve did you get all the air out of the system by turning the wheel side to side a few times.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• 60 birdman
      • Aug 25 2014

60 power steering problem

John
      Thanks for the reply, I purchased the valve from Larry's Thunderbird. They will send a rebuilt unit and then I will have to send my old unit to them. I have talked to one of the people there and they told me to send it back and they will send me another valve.
      Thanks again for your help.
      Leonard

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Leonard,

You're welcome. I didn't know that Larry's will send you a valve beforehand. That's good to know. I just sent mine here to be rebuilt.

They charge about $90 + shipping. Turn around time seems to be about three-four weeks.

John

Comment

• Tbird1044
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 31 2012

If you haven't removed the valve, here are some thoughts.
          The p/s pump should develop plenty of pressure at idle and the only difference I can think of is volume at a higher engine speed. Speed should not be an issue for the system to work. Since you said the system worked prior to the change outs, and now only works above 2000 RPM, I would be very suspicious of air in the system. You did change a lot of parts that would allow air to be trapped in the system.
          The best way I have found to bleed a p/s system, is to jack up the front end of the car to take the weight of the tires. Then start the car and swing the p/s full right, full left, several times and don't be afraid to hold against the stops for a short period.
          Also, I'm not sure if the hoses on the control valve or power cylinder can be reversed, but did you double check to make sure they are all connected correctly?
          Nyles

Comment

• 60 birdman
            • Aug 25 2014

1960 power steering problem

Nyles
            Thanks for replying. I did raise the car up to bleed the system, but that did not seem to help. I probably worked 45 min to an hour trying to bleed to system, but to no avail. I put all the hoses back exactly like they came off, that was the first thing I checked. I even checked the service manual to be sure.
            I am going to send the valve back to Larry's, they said that it was under warranty and they would send me another one. They were very helpful in trying to resolve my problem.
            Thanks again for your ideas.
            Leonard

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
              Apprentice
              • Mar 5 2014

I have a question

I have a 1960 T Bird also and have been working on the control valve for a while. I put in a rebuilt valve and everything is fine, but it wants to pull to one side? and ideas?

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I would try adjusting the centering spring. Turn the nut to the right until it gets tight then back it off 1/4 turn.

John

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                  Apprentice
                  • Mar 5 2014

Thank you, I will do that next.

Comment

• ayrwoof
                    Experienced
                    • Apr 4 2005

as per previous post jack up the car
                    make sure steering box is not too loose or too tight and has 130 wt
                    in it .
                    problems i seen with my valve spool assembly is:
                    the big washer that is next to the spool ,on the inboard large seal
                    will wear to the point they wont hold the seal . i got a a better
                    one and noticed LESS gap between the seal and the travel tube .
                    This stopped the drip . Even with old seal . with steering spool
                    unhooked from pitman arm ,the wheel should have no large
                    amount of play & steer with your little finger easy Half way
                    down the wheel spoke. if not pull the box . i set mine up out of
                    the car on bench .. with zero input shaft play (big nut adj) .
                    and turned the input shaft with two fingers. Till i found the sweet
                    spot at center Then removed the the pitman shaft height down till
                    i found the sweet spot tighten just a very little bit.
                    added new fomoco seal and then a new aftermarket one also,
                    on top of ford peice, added 130 , loaded in car ,set colum height
                    for horn ring to work , .

Comment

• JamesBorisPerez
                      Apprentice
                      • Mar 5 2014

Power Steering Valve

I tried adjusting it by the book with no luck, I then spaced out the cover a bit, adjusted it by the book and it all good. I just had my power booster rebuilt and installed it. I also worked on my chrome trunk lock cover, that was a pain. After I put the cover on, it would slip down. I then purchased a kit from Mac's which consisted of two spring and a metal clip. This past weekend I installed the springs, trimmed them and added two little washers to the set screw, works good. This weekend I'm putting in an electric radiator fan and replacing the shocks, I love this car!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎