Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Manaboy
    • May 3 2018

carter afb 2853

Help ! purchased a 59 squarebird, 430 MEL, carter 2853 a month ago. It ran fine. I noticed the gas pedal ball was not seated in the socket so I re-seated but there was interference. Decided to look at later. I than went through all the linkage including the carburetor with a cleaner.
    Now when I try to start the bird, she throttles up "maximum" has if the throttle is to the floor. I removed the linkage thinking that the problem was in the linkage but it wasn't.
    Can anyone tell me what might have happened ?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If the car is idling too fast then your throttle lever is too far open. Did you remove the linkage from the carburetor lever. If so did the throttle lever move. If not it could be either the hot idle screw or the fast idle screw that is out of adjustment. You didn't mention what was causing the interference in the gas pedal linkage. If the linkage was not seated in the gas pedal the linkage would be shorter than normal. If the carburetor was adjusted this way and you then seat the rod correctly in the pedal it's going to pull the lever open too much. If you remove the linkage from the carburetor and the throttle lever closes then you need to turn the adjuster to lengthen the rod.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Manaboy
      • May 3 2018

Thank you John for your response. Looks like the pedal was from another vehicle. If I set the ball and socket on the gas pedal, the pedal would interfere with the floor board when the pedal is suppressed. I don't believe this is the correct pedal.
      As far as the throttle linkage, I set it back to where it was. Even without the throttle linkage connected and the plunger seated at approx. .5 inches, the engine will go immediately to my guess around 4,000 RPMS, in other words, I have to shut it down immediately or I'm afraid the engine will blow. I made the mistake of asking my wife to start the car while I was looking into the carburetor. She was to turn the key and than immediately turn it off. Immediately to her was a few more seconds and the it backfired.
      In a nut shell, the car was under refurbishment since 2002 and never was "driven". Sat in hot weather ever since. My neighbor who just turned 90 gave me the car.
      If you have any other Ideas I would appreciate !

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

As I mentioned before the only way to have that high an rpm is to have the throttle linkage wide open. Disconnect the linkage from the carburetor. Look down the throat at the throttle plates. They should be closed. If they aren't turn the hot idle screw counter clockwise until they are. Then reconnect the linkage. If you have to open the throttle lever to reconnect the linkage it's too short. If the throttle plates snap closed when you disconnect the linkage make it longer. It's way too short or you have binding in the linkage mechanism.

John

Comment

• Manaboy
          • May 3 2018

I made the adjustment but not certain if the throttle plates are fully closed at an angle ? And did you mean the primary and secondary plates ?The pic's I've seen of the plates are from a top view. Anyway, as I was making the adjustments, I noticed a fuel leak. Someone had an additional inline fuel filter...yes, two fuel filters. One a canister and the other a glass see through. The glass filter came apart ? So I'm out to find a correct fuel line. I'll get back with the results. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Manaboy
            And did you mean the primary and secondary plates ?The pic's I've seen of the plates are from a top view.
            The secondary plates should never be open at idle. You should be looking at the primary (front) plates.

John

Comment

• Manaboy
              • May 3 2018

OK- repaired the gas filter and line issues. Made the adjustment and engine idles great. However when I throttle, the engine dies. Any Idea's where I should go from here. Really appreciate your expertise !

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Normally if the engine dies on acceleration it's the accelerator pump or dirt in the accelerator passages. It could also be the choke out of adjustment. If the carburetor hasn't been rebuilt recently I recommend getting the entire kit and do a good cleaning and a full rebuild.

John

Comment

• Manaboy
                  • May 3 2018

Thank you.

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The accelerator pump linkage has three different settings. You can try changing them to see if it makes any difference.

John
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎