Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

converting pedals from manual to automatic?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

Originally posted by tmjsong1aolcom
    I have not done this swap, but I can say that the mounting bracket attached to the underside of the frame is welded in place. There is a big difference in the brackets and would suggest going with a power brake set up.
    what piece is welded in place?
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Dakota Boy
      Super-Experienced
      • Jun 30 2009

Update

Dual pedal manual clutch/Kelsey-Hayes power brake setup has been successfully replaced with a single pedal unit (non-Kelsey/Hayes).

No issues, other than having to make a brass spacer (because the eccentric bolt for adjusting the free play in the pedal was a smaller diameter than the hole in my master cylinder pushrod).
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

It is not necessary to bleed brakes when replacing pressure switch

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Good job! I did this swap with my '59 Galaxie. While I had the brake pedal support out, I installed a microswitch on the pedal for my brake lights. That free'd up two wires going through my firewall for the old pressure switch.

Now, the microswitch turns a relay coil on, and the contacts pass all the current for the bulbs. It works as soon as the pedal is touched, just like modern cars. CLICK HERE for the site.

My Galaxie's brake pedal support is simply bolted to the firewall and dashboard. The steering column is bolted to it, too. Nothing is welded because that would complicate the assembly line process. Assemblers look at a ROT sheet, pick the correct brake pedal support, and install the studs through the firewall as another worker nuts the M/C (or booster bracket) under the hood.
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎