Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DKheld
    Super-Experienced
    • Aug 27 2008

Hope the ride height doesn't change but I'm guessing those coil over shocks and possibly that extra bracket on the leaf spring may be helping hold the rear up a bit. It will depend on how good or bad the leaf springs are.

I've found some coil over shocks but haven't received the necessary info on them yet. Unfortunately they are for a lighter car, expensive and are only available outside the US so may not pan out.

Doubt you can tell from these pics but my car doesn't have that extra bracket - can you tell why yours is there?

Maybe - if it rides good - clean them up and keep them on there?
    Eric

Comment

• Daleo56
      Experienced
      • Dec 27 2014

I have not been able to find coil-over shocks with stud ends and am not a fan of helper springs so maybe I can just get them re-arched and use a basic shock. It answers the OP issue of increased height and gets me away from specialty equipment.

It would also be cool if there was a reference in the TRL for shocks. Since many of the years are different it would help during Searches if a list came up with modern equivalents from Gabriel, Monroe, KYB and Lakewood. Also since Courier and Rover shocks seem to be darn close it may help too to reference them as well.

Just my $.02

Tim
      Last edited by Daleo56; January 15, 2015, 07:27 PM. Reason: TRL request
      Tim Daleo
      Azusa, California
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/daleo1/albums

Thunderbird Registry Entry

Comment

• toddgilroy
        Experienced
        • Aug 30 2014

My 60 convertible sits very similar to Tim's (bottom of fender at the top of the hubcap) and my springs look to be in similar condition to Tim's (minus the extra bracket).

I just replaced the old shocks with these Monroe 37191's at $26/each. These shocks never show up if you search for replacement shocks for a 1960 Thunderbird because Monroe only lists where they were OEM shocks.

There are several other options if you want something a little more "HD".
        Attached Files
        Todd Gilroy
        1960 Tbird Convertible
        Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• Daleo56
          Experienced
          • Dec 27 2014

The previous post is a great example of why the TRL could use a shock list and some pictures. I had no idea that the 37191 was a stem/stem based on quick looks at the product pages.

Amazon, APW, Rock Auto and even MONROE have products pages of the 37191 with the incorrect picture. You have to dig around on the pages or have read some of this thread to know the difference between year and possible options.

Originally posted by toddgilroy
          My 60 convertible sits very similar to Tim's (bottom of fender at the top of the hubcap) and my springs look to be in similar condition to Tim's (minus the extra bracket).

I just replaced the old shocks with these Monroe 37191's at $26/each. These shocks never show up if you search for replacement shocks for a 1960 Thunderbird because Monroe only lists where they were OEM shocks.

There are several other options if you want something a little more "HD".
          Last edited by Daleo56; January 15, 2015, 08:13 PM.
          Tim Daleo
          Azusa, California

Comment

• toddgilroy
            Experienced
            • Aug 30 2014

I think the 37191's just hit the radar screen 2 months ago on this thread thanks to Dave Dare ~simplyconnected. Since then a couple of us have purchased and installed them in the last couple of weeks.

But I do like the idea of some additional "interchange parts" info.

1990's Land Rovers of various models seem to use these shocks or shocks with very similar dimensions on the front.
            Todd Gilroy
            1960 Tbird Convertible
            Thunderbird Registry #54651

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Sagging rear end & Shock Absorbers

If someone would like to take this project on and write up something for the TRL with pictures, I would be glad to post it in the TRL. I don't really know a lot about shocks.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Rear Suspension

The rear end on my '59 (352 with a continental kit) is weak and hanging low -- so low that my body weight of 195 pounds is enough make the whole car lean left when I'm aboard. Right now, I'm inclined to go with new McVeigh springs and air shocks but would like to get some input from other Bird nuts first.

I want to end up with a safe, comfortable ride -- and not something to be entered in a Mexican Road Race. I'm hoping to avoid installing sway bars. If it's a little low, that's OK, too. (Praise The Lowered.) If the front end is a little high, I can cut the coils a bit. (Again, Praise The Lowered.)

Your comments are welcome! Thank you. Roger

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Roger, I use McVeigh springs and I love them. Your situation is different because behind your rear axle, you have what amounts to a long lever (the continental extension) with a weight at the end (the tire).

I normally don't suggest this but you should contact Eaton Detroit Spring's technical department. They can calculate more exactly what you need, then they build it.

Sway bars do not affect your car's height at all. They only stop your car from leaning over around curves. If you like how 'flat' your modern car rides around expressway exit ramps, then you should install A PAIR of good sway bars. If you're still not sure about this, ask Eaton Detroit Spring. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Daleo56
                    Experienced
                    • Dec 27 2014

Originally posted by roger59tb
                    The rear end on my '59 (352 with a continental kit) is weak and hanging low -- so low that my body weight of 195 pounds is enough make the whole car lean left when I'm aboard. Right now, I'm inclined to go with new McVeigh springs and air shocks but would like to get some input from other Bird nuts first.

I want to end up with a safe, comfortable ride -- and not something to be entered in a Mexican Road Race. I'm hoping to avoid installing sway bars. If it's a little low, that's OK, too. (Praise The Lowered.) If the front end is a little high, I can cut the coils a bit. (Again, Praise The Lowered.)

Your comments are welcome! Thank you. Roger
                    I have a small storage space in Duarte and am around if you need help or want to take measurements. I have a 1960 hardtop and am also in Arcadia (just South of Longden) all the time.
                    Tim Daleo
                    Azusa, California

Comment

Arcadia Bird

Originally posted by Daleo56
                      I have a small storage space in Duarte and am around if you need help or want to take measurements. I have a 1960 hardtop and am also in Arcadia (just South of Longden) all the time.
                      If you're in Arcadia and have a few minutes to spare, you're welcome to stop by anytime. Roger Ward, 144 W. Norman Ave, Arcadia, 91007. (626) 447-7130. (Two blocks south of El Camino and one block west of Santa Anita.) I'm retired so I'm around most of the time. You can leave a message anytime on my machine; I rarely pick up the phone (too many solicitation calls.)

I've been following your progress here on the forum and would love to see your car whenever you're available. You can leave a message as to when and where it's good for you - and I'll be there! Thanks, Roger

Comment

Rear Suspension

Ray - Thank you for the offer but I'm unconcerned.

Dave and Daleo56 - Thank you for your input. Does anyone else have anything to add regarding my rear suspension issues?

Comment

rear suspension

Yesterday I put rear air shocks into my '59 Bird and today I ordered rear springs from McVeigh. When they're in and functioning, I'll write up a report.

Comment

McVeigh Rear Springs

Following Dave's suggestion here on the forum, I got a set of rear springs from McVeigh and following Nyles' suggestion I got a set of rear air shocks. The shocks went in fine; the springs are half way in (my mechanic hurt his back on another car before he completed the install.) I can't report on them yet but so far, it looks like my problem may be solved. The McVeigh springs have six leaves although I think the originals have five. It took three tries before UPS was successful in delivering them; the first two attempts resulted in empty boxes. The third time, McVeigh taped delivery instructions directly to the springs and sent them with no box! I'd rather have slightly scuffed springs than none at all! I have only good things to say about McVeigh's efforts to get them to me. I spoke to Lyle at McVeigh at (989) 826-3682. Cost was very reasonable: $110 each + $56 shipping for a total delivered cost of $276.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

Unless you deliver phone books out of your trunk, I would stay away from air shocks. Their purpose is to lift and greatly stiffen your suspension by charging the shocks with air.

Six progressive leafs should offer all the lift you need. Good shocks control the ride.
                              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Rear Suspension Update

Today I finished up with the rear on my '59 Bird (352 cid with a continental kit and half the aftermarket A/C remaining. Here's a progress report after putting in McVeigh leaf springs and air shocks with 30# of air: I can't tell for sure if I'm happy (until I get some radials on the car) but it seems pretty good so far. The stance is about the same, near level with a very slight rake. I don't know the measurements from before (didn't take them) but afterward they are:
                                FRONT = 10 1/4" (bottom of front bumper to ground)
                                REAR WHEEL OPENING = 19 1/2" (no skirt, to ground)
                                REAR = 15" (bottom of rear bumper to ground.)
                                Next come radials; then, if necessary, it's on to sway bars.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎