• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tr59bird
    Apprentice
    • Dec 27 2010

Steering Column Removal

Hi,
    I am trying to remove the steering column by separating it from the steering gear and pulling it into the cabin of car. I have removed the linkage and column retaining bolts from under the dash, but cannot seem to figure out how to disconnect it from the steering gear which appears to be all that is stopping it from coming out. I have a manual, but cannot seem to find instructions on how to do this.
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Tom
  • Dakota Boy
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 30 2009

I had to separate my column/steering box at this connection here, because my other two options were stuck pretty solid.
    There is essentially a little trailer hitch ball up inside that tube with the grease zerk. Loosen the large set screw and get that little ball outa there.
    Attached Files
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Yep, that's how it works. Like Dakota Boy said, take the cotter pin out and use a LARGE screwdriver to unscrew the plug at the end. The inside is spring loaded so it will relax as you turn. Then the ball-end of the pitman arm will fall out. - Dave

BTW, great picture!
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tr59bird
        Apprentice
        • Dec 27 2010

Thanks guys, and sorry for delay in replying (work, work, work).
        I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know how it goes.
        Tom

Comment

• tr59bird
          Apprentice
          • Dec 27 2010

I might be misunderstanding, but it looks like the picture Dakota Boy shows is down near the pitman arm which is under the steering gear. What I was hoping to do is separate the column from the gear from above.
          [IMG]c:\users\tom\mypictures\img-20121216-00229[/IMG]
          Not sure if picture will show as I'm having problems attaching it.
          Thanks,
          Tom

Comment

• Dakota Boy
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 30 2009

Did you want to remove the whole steering shaft from the steering box, or just the outer piece (maybe you are wanting to paint it?)

The steering column outer piece can be removed from the steering shaft; it just slides off once you remove the steering wheel etc.
            Last edited by Dakota Boy; December 17, 2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steering Column Removal

Tom, only Paid Members can post directly to the Squarebirds Forum server. You can become one by going to the Donate to Site if you have a PayPal account. Or you can go to one of the free picture hosting websites, like Photobucket, create an account and then post the picture from it. Or you can send me the pic and I can post it for you.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tr59bird
                Apprentice
                • Dec 27 2010

Yellow Rose, thanks for the info.
                Dakota Boy, I want to remove the whole column as I need to get to the lower firewall behind it in the interior so that I can clean it up and paint it (along with all the mounting brackets for the brake booster and pedal).
                Thanks,
                Tom

Comment

• Dakota Boy
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jun 30 2009

take off the steering wheel, unhook any wiring that runs through the column (turn signals for example), then separate the steering box at the spot in my photo above.

Then whole thing (steering box and everything attached to it) can then be pulled in towards the car's interior, through that rectangular hole in the firewall. It will work. Sounds crazy, but that's the way the manual says to do it too. I did it by myself, but if you have a helper it'll go much,much smoother.

Comment

• tr59bird
                    Apprentice
                    • Dec 27 2010

Ah, I see! That finally explains the removeable plate on the lower firewall - take it off and there is room for the steering box to pass through.
                    Thanks Dakota Boy.

Comment

Steering column ...

Once it's that far apart would be a good time to R&R your shift linkage. They almost always need some attention. There may be a right up on it in the tech section. If not I could e-mail you some pics. Mike

Comment

• maddmax
                        • Sep 25 2013

Steering column mounting interior bolts

I just bought a 59' t-bird, I noticed the steering column is a little loose. I tried to tighten up the 2 mounting bolts and they just spin. After fighting this for a while I was able to put a wrench on the square nut above and back the bolt out. It seems someone used the wrong type thread. I was just wondering if someone new what type thread was used. It's very hard to see and a very tight area to work with. I'm not talking about the the collar clamp.
                        Thanks

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Steering Column Removal

Send Carl Heller ~ partsetal on here a Private Message (PM). He probably has the answer to your question. Carl has a lot of Squarebirds parts and great knowledge regarding them.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                          The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                          Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                          https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by maddmax
                            I just bought a 59' t-bird, I noticed the steering column is a little loose. I tried to tighten up the 2 mounting bolts and they just spin. After fighting this for a while I was able to put a wrench on the square nut above and back the bolt out. It seems someone used the wrong type thread. I was just wondering if someone new what type thread was used. It's very hard to see and a very tight area to work with. I'm not talking about the the collar clamp.
                            Thanks
                            If you are talking about the long screws that hold the steering column to the dash they are 5/16-24, 3" with a phillips head.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• Tbird1044
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jul 31 2012

Steering Column

Max:
                              I think the 2 bolts you are talking about are behind and above the collar clamp. There are 2 round nuts that are supposed to be attached to the support bracket, but like yours, one of mine came loose and was spinning freely. I needed to secure it before I put the dash pad back in. I wish I could remember for sure the size, but I THINK they were 3/8-NC. The pic quality is not that great, but may give you an idea of what it looks like.
                              Nyles

Originally posted by maddmax
                              Thanks
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎