X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

Garnish moldings

Hello - My 60's interior chrome garnish moldings are pitted and showing rust speckles. I was quoted between 1K$ and 2K$ to strip, polish and re-plate. I see that Bird Nest advertises refurbished ones from time to time. Not cheap and that may end up around the same $. Another thought was to steel-wool them and spray with clear Krylon.

Anybody have experience or other ideas?

Thanks,

John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • Y-Blokkah
    Apprentice
    • Oct 4 2018

John, I'm new here but I've been working on old Fords for eons it seems, and all I can say is do it once and do it right.

Steel wool and Krylon?
    If you're like most of us clowns in this hobby, you'll hate the result. Chrome is meant to be chrome, not silver painted. I think if you've just got speckles, you might be ok with some polishing compound and elbow grease for now, and it'll look nicer than Krylon.
    Just polish the ever living crap out of it and it'll be better than nothing.
    then do the replating as you can afford it, one side or one section at a time.
    My .02

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I agree. Use some polishing compound and a brass brush. Other than that either finding some nice used ones or rechroming yours are the only other options. Have you tried the Thunderbird Connection. They sell used parts and since they are in Arizona they may have some nicer ones.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎