This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default steering box

Hi Joe!

I hope one of our more technical guys comes wandering by quickly and can answer your question. If I were to try and tell you, you would probably be taking off your glove box instead! We have some really sharp guys here who know their stuff. Since it is the weekend, a lot of them are either burning up the road with their TBirds (especially those in the North who had them cooped up in their nests all winter) or are working on them. Since our Squarebirds are kissing cuzzins to your car, they should be similar in taking that box off. Hopefully, someone will come along soon and tell ya how to do it! Thanks for the compliment. We have a great bunch of guys here, across the world.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or (Cell) 210-875-1411 (Home) 210-674-5781
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Apprentice

joe1946 is on a distinguished road

Would the Fairlane be close enough to the square bird so my Bird manual woud give me a pretty good idea on how it came out?
Thanks.
Joe
Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Apprentice

Hi All,
I found a steering box through Advanced Auto. The only problem is it's manual steering. I'm hoping I can change over to manual from the power assist. Has anyone ever done this or have any reason why it can't be done? Different Pitman arm or antthing like that?
Thanks.
Joe
Old 08-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Apprentice

The ongoing saga of power assist steering. I didn't rebuild, we found a rebuilt box and it helped the steering a lot. On main roads it feels fine but on back roads it feels strange like it wants to jump side to side. We've rebuilt the power assist cylinder and can't figure out what else to fix/replace in the system. The only thing left is the center link. I could change that and make it manual steering. Any ideas out there?
Thanks.
Joe
Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 PM
KULTULZ

If you went with a manual box on power assist car, you will need to change everything over to manual linkage. The PS valve and cyl are going to give you fits.

There was a changeover piece that replaces the control valve for a cheap changeover, but I would try and do it correctly. Save the PS system and put it on EvilBay if you do not want it.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Apprentice

That's just what I'm trying to do. I think all I need now is the manual center link and I'm home free. Any ideas for a source??
Thanks.
Joe
Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Apprentice

KULTULZ, I've got to assume there is a big difference between boxes?? I'm going to save the power assist for someone else to screw with. I'm in too far on this one but have to keep going. I sure hope the demand for 68/69 Fairlanes goes up.
Joe
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1946 View Post

KULTULZ, I've got to assume there is a big difference between boxes??
Usually ratio. Let me see what I can find as for a drag link.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

I've found one part number for the drag link, power or manual. The only real difference that we can find so far is the steering ratio but how much different I can't figure out. Anyway I've ordered a new center link, it's listed under rare parts. I saw the conversion you had mentioned and decided to keep the power assist complete for the next guy.
Thanks for the help.
Joe
Old 08-30-2008, 03:26 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Listen, there are two drag links, one for manual and one for power assist. Same for the pitman and idler arm. This is why that conversion piece is so popular.

The box ratio is not given in the parts catalog. It will be found in the Shop Manual for that year.

Let me give you a reference for your car-

http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/

Let us know how you come out.