Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever used an aftermarket radiator?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SwitchBlade327
    Apprentice
    • Jan 1 2008

Anyone ever used an aftermarket radiator?

I can already tell my 59 is gonna give me problems once hot weather is upon us, so I'm looking into doing some upgrades to the cooling system. I e-mailed walker about the cobra series radiators to see if they had or could make me one for my car, hopefully I'll hear something from them tomorrow.
    I thought some of you guys on here may have used something similar. I was also thinking of switching my car over to an electric fan, getting stuck in traffic after work is the biggest reason the car starts getting hot. I figure a high CFM fan & shroud should cure this, especially when coupled with a new radiator.

Theres a ton of threads on this site for cooling issues.Most guy's have 'em.Click on search and type in radiator.
    I had mine recored for $100 and he did my heater core as well.
    Installed a Mercedes elect. fan w thermostat that kicks on @ 190 and trans cooler on the front so they cant be seen.Also installed a gauge(oil,water,amp) set just to keep a good eye on things.

Comment

• SwitchBlade327
      Apprentice
      • Jan 1 2008

I can't really have mine recored since my t-bird is my only car, I have to keep it drivable. If I can get all the new parts I need I can just swap everything out on a saturday and be back to cruising.

Comment

• tbirdave
        Apprentice
        • Jun 12 2006

radiator

Get a hold of Superior Radiator,(I think they are in Michigan) they built me an aluminum one and I have never regretted it. My car runs between the T and E on the temp guage year round and I'm in CA where our summers get to be 110. Check previous postings for the location as I have given this info before. Don't mess around with repos, I have had numerous problems with surge tanks, I finally put in a 61 -63 one, they are built better and have had minimal problems with it.
        Tbirdave

Comment

was this a bolt on and did you need to send them your old one?

Thanks!!

Comment

• byersmtrco
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 28 2004

Where did you put your gauge?

Originally posted by El Guapo
            Theres a ton of threads on this site for cooling issues.Most guy's have 'em.Click on search and type in radiator.
            I had mine recored for $100 and he did my heater core as well.
            Installed a Mercedes elect. fan w thermostat that kicks on @ 190 and trans cooler on the front so they cant be seen.Also installed a gauge(oil,water,amp) set just to keep a good eye on things.

Comment

• SwitchBlade327
              Apprentice
              • Jan 1 2008

Originally posted by byersmtrco
              Where did you put your gauge?
              Alright, I'm trying to track down a decent old radiator to have gone through, I've already picked up a 16" electric fan. Anyone have a reccomendation on a fan shroud?

Comment

• ncbird
                Experienced
                • Jan 5 2008

shroud

Check the technical section on the main home site page.
                Down the page is modification and customization I think. There you will find a tab for fan shroud. I think it is Dearborn classics that has them.
                Here is a picture of one during installation and I am using a 15" 5 blade factory fan.
                I would certainly see if the radiator suppliers noted below can make you one. I just had mine recored and with the cost of copper now it was 600 bucks.

Grant
                NCbird on the Coast of NC
                "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Anders
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Jan 19 2008

@ncbird: Dang. That engine compartment look beautiful!!!!!!!!
                  sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                  http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• ncbird
                    Experienced
                    • Jan 5 2008

thanks

Thanks Anders I am trying to make sure everything is nice, clean and organized. We filled the firewall where the heater was and are trying to put the new unit under the dash. There is a reason the A/C and heater were in the engine room....because there is no room under the dash.
                    Here is a better picture of the engine compartment as of today.

The crew on here really keep you on your toes with all the great cars and work. I love the silver on yours.
                    Grant

Grant

Comment

• SwitchBlade327
                      Apprentice
                      • Jan 1 2008

Thanks for the tip. So the 62-63 Fairlane shrouds just bolt in? I should be able to find a shroud off a car, can't really spend that much money on the reproduction!

Guess I'm going to have to make some phone calls on a custom radiator if a re-core is costing that much. I'd rather have something that worked better than stock for that much cash!

Anyone know the inlet and outlet diameters on these radiators? I'm gonna contact some people about making me one and i have all the measurements but these.
                      Last edited by SwitchBlade327; May 5, 2008, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• ncbird
                        Experienced
                        • Jan 5 2008

Radiator

I would certainly explore my options especially if either of the radiator companys mentioned earlier in the thread work out. My radiator has about 170% cooling of the original. I couldnt find anyone here that would do a 4 inch core on these tanks so it is a 3in core with oversize tubes. You may have better luck in Raleigh but as you can imagine radiator shops are limited here in Wilmington.
                        The shroud is from a full size ford and fits nicely. I dont know if you ever deal with Theodore at Nines auto wrecking out in Granville county but that is where I would start. Grant
                        Grant

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

Hmmm....
                          I have the original radiator, and my engine is now 401 cu in. My needle is strait to the middle of the guage.
                          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• SwitchBlade327
                            Apprentice
                            • Jan 1 2008

My radiator has a tiny tiny leak, and sitting in city traffic already makes it get warm and it's not summer temps yet. I'm just trying to make sure I'm not going to have any issues after summer arrives.

I've contacted Griffin Radiator in S.C., the guy told me to make him and drawing with dimensions so i did and e-mailed it to them earlier. I'm waiting to hear back from them now witha quote and if my drawing was sufficient. I just measured out the radiator without brackets and I'll mount my old brackets myself when I install it.

When this is all over with I'll probaly ship them my old radiator so they can make new ones for other squarebird owners without going to through so much trouble! I wish I had an extra one to send them so mine wouldn't be quite so expiremental!

Comment

• protourbird
                              Experienced
                              • Apr 29 2008

Switch Blade,
                              Who are you dealing with @ Griffin. I had one of their's in my 68 Chevelle SS396 and it worked killer. Kept car cool with a/c in Florida.
                              sigpic
                              Jim

protourbird

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎