No announcement yet.

Exhaust Manifold Gasket repair

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Manifold Gasket repair

Later this summer (saving money) I plan to get my exhaust manifolds gaskets fixed. Rather loud at this point.
    How the heck do they get to the bolts to get it all apart. There is like NO room in that engine bay to get to them.
    Last edited by YellowRose; August 5, 2018, 06:11 PM. Reason: Grammer adjustment

Exhaust Manifold Repair

Hi I went through this earlier this year, I had to unbolt the the engine at the engine mounts. simple one bolt on each then jack up the engine enough to reach the manifold bolt. it makes it a little easier but still a challenge, also heated up a wrench to get the correct angle to reach some of the bolts. After this is done and engine remounted after a week or so f driving I went through the same process to tighten the manifold bolts again to make sure the gasket doesn't blow again. It's s pain but worth it to keep it quiet.

Comment

Certainly does not look like an easy job.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
        Experienced
        • Jul 4 2015

I had to do that as well

Yes, I had to jack up and move the engine to the driver's side in order to get to the exhaust manifold bolts. I snapped the head of one of the bolts, so I had the pleasure of drilling out and re-tapping the motor to put in a new bolt. It was well worth the effort. I had a cracked manifold, and I did insert a heat shield/gasket in there. I also took my "new" manifold to a machine shop to make sure that the surface was true as well.
        Geoff In Carlsbad
        1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. I have not got it to the shop yet. Hopefully sooner than later. First week of Oct we have a HUGE show here in Greater Cincinnati called the Pumpkin Run. If the weather holds out the 3 day weekend show will see upwards of 1500+ cars. I would love to get to the show but won't if i don't have the mani's quieted down.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎