No announcement yet.

Door not shutting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door not shutting

On my 62 I have issues with the pass door closing tightly. I would close but just rattle/bounce around on the latch or what ever type of mechanism is there. I used to be able to just slam it a bit harder but tonight not so much luck. Nothing seems to be blocking it, I had window all the way down, all the weather stripping is old, so nothing I have changed to have caused this. There is nothing blocking it making it bounce back out. I have to assume it is in the latch set up.
    I searched the site only found a post on something like this for a 1960 bird

The door is not sagging, fyi

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Push the door button in and spin the latch mechanism on the door. If it doesn't turn freely then it probably needs to be oiled. Try spinning it with the door button not pushed in. It should not spin freely but should lock in place. If it spins freely the mechanism inside the door is either broken or seized. Also make sure the inside door handle is all the way down. If it doesn't return all the way after you pull up on it to open the door it will not latch. Try taking the top screw out and spraying some WD-40 or other lubricant inside and work the door button, inside door handle and latch and see if you can get it to lock.

John
      Last edited by jopizz; July 18, 2018, 08:37 PM.
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• mh434
        Comfortably numb
        • Jan 10 2017

I had the same issue with my '60. It felt like something had broken in the door catch mechanism. Johns advice is sound, take out the top screw and fire a load of WD40 in there. Worked a treat for me

Jon
        Jon
        Deepest Hertfordshire
        Old enough to know I'm right...
        1960 Hardtop T'bird
        1961 Hotchkiss M201

Comment

Take the screw out of the top of what?

Well I went and looked at the car today. The door handle in the car was all the way down. It goes back to that position after you have pulled it to open rather well, no play in it.
          I opened the door, the part that spins on the door spins and works identical to the drivers, button pushed in or not, etc, so that is working fine if it is working identical to the drivers door. They spine with some ease, I would not call then seized up at all. I will spray some lube in non the less.
          I gave it a good slam today a few times then it latched on tight.
          So not sure where to go now other then don't open it. ha ha

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by blue62tbird
            Take the screw out of the top of what?
            The door latch that spins is held in place by two screws. One on top and one on the bottom. Take the top screw out.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎