Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you haven't already done it remove the pig tail wire that goes from the sender to the harness and run a new wire to the sender. You can use alligator clips temporarily. You could have an internal break in that small wire. It could be just enough to affect the reading. The fact that you say it works every once in a while could be a clue that it's a bad wire.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

The wire going into the tank (the sender) goes into some type of rubber seal at the tank, do I just pull it out gently or opening up the tank to get to the the wire?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You said the wire from the sender goes into a connector (most likely a bullet connector). If you ground the wire at that point the gauge goes to full. Remove the wire at the bullet connector and run a new wire temporarily from there to the sender. See if the gauge goes above 1/4.

John

Comment

I don't get when I connect the sender to the harness, leaving juuust enough metal exposed and I ground the two connect wires it goes to a full tank.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you ground any part of the wire from the sender back to the gauge it's going to read full. Once you ground it you take the sender out of the circuit.

John

Comment

ok the last post makes sense.
              So you want me to disconnect the wires, then just run a new wire between them.

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by blue62tbird
                ok the last post makes sense.
                So you want me to disconnect the wires, then just run a new wire between them.
                Yes. If the gauge goes up to 3/4 or above then you found the problem. If it stays at 1/4 then the sender is the problem.

John

Comment

makes no sense, just pushing a wire into the female plug (from harness) and touching the sending unit male end. Or is there another connection in the truck further up the harness?

Comment

• jopizz
                    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by blue62tbird
                    makes no sense, just pushing a wire into the female plug (from harness) and touching the sending unit male end. Or is there another connection in the truck further up the harness?
                    I don't know why it doesn't make sense. All you are doing is replacing the factory wire with a new piece of wire.

John

Comment

one last volley, pull the wires and take my own wire and push one end INTO the female plug and fasten the other end of my wire to the male sending unit wire plug. If that it is the case seems to me all I am testing is the two connection points.

Comment

• jopizz
                        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Take a new piece of wire and push one end into the female harness connector and connect the other end of the wire to the sender post(use a clip to hold in place). Then check your gauge.

John

Comment

I will do that. If gauge does not change I have a bad sending unit? Or the wires leading up to each of those connectors are bad?
                          I would have a hard time thinking there is a shorted wire. None of it looked like it has been touched since orig install. Like new.

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If the gauge stays at 1/4 where it was then the sender has to be the problem.

John

Comment

well the wiring to the gauge is good, I have completed the circuit, the gauge moved.

Comment

Thank you for putting up with me. I will try again after work tomorrow. I wish you lived down the street! ha ha ha

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎