X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnpaulny
    Apprentice
    • Jun 9 2013

What tires?

Anyone have a suggestion for whitewall tires for a 63 convertible? Coker seems to be common choice but I'm wondering if there is a less expensive, but decent, tire. Thanks
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

What tires?

John, the subject of tires, whether to go with Coker or Diamond Back, has been hashed out a lot on the '58-'60 Squarebirds Forum. Here is the link to one of those threads. The verdict seems to be that Diamond Back is the better tire... Here is the link to it.

http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ad.php?t=23113

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Exactly what type of tire are you looking for. 1963's did not have wide whitewalls. They had a 1" whitewall. If you are looking for thin whitewall radials you can get them almost anywhere including Walmart.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• johnpaulny
        Apprentice
        • Jun 9 2013

Thanks for reply, I actually don't want a wide whitewall.

Comment

• johnpaulny
          Apprentice
          • Jun 9 2013

Thank you, very helpful information.

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

You're lucky. Those of us who just have to have 14" wide white walls (1958-1961) pay dearly for a sometimes mediocre tire. I can see why some owners go with the 1" whites.

Funny, I remember my dad buying new tires for his '58 Biscayne, and these had the new slim white wall. We thought it an advancement in styling.

Now, it always looks weird to me if the "wrong" width white wall or white letter tire is on the "wrong" car.

Dean

Comment

• Woobie
              Experienced
              • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by johnpaulny
              Anyone have a suggestion for whitewall tires for a 63 convertible? Coker seems to be common choice but I'm wondering if there is a less expensive, but decent, tire. Thanks

We have these on an older Chrysler in 15". T rated for 118 mph so you'll have to lighten up on the throttle. And 620 AB UTQG.

I am not afiiliated with the business

Buy undefined undefined tires online. Wide range of undefined tires available. Fast, free delivery to a local expert installer near you.
              Austin

Comment

• Woobie
                Experienced
                • Apr 1 2016

Originally posted by johnpaulny

What, may I ask did you end up going with for tires...the tiger paw I linked is 620 AB. We have driven once on the parkways in the last three years with them. Smooth, straight. Slightly noisier than I'd like but that could be pressure related
                Austin

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎