X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

Posting using IE9

I recently upgraded to IE9 on another computer and now I can't post on the forum from that computer. Has anyone else had a similar problem? It seems as though the "data" protcol for IE9 is missing.
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

I am now trying Firefox and it seems to work! Strange! IE9 still not working.
    Last edited by Howard Prout; November 29, 2010, 10:05 AM. Reason: update

Comment

• dgs
      Super-Experienced
      • Feb 13 2003

Is IE9 officially released or is it still in beta? If beta, I'd reserve judgment until it's done.
      DGS (aka salguod)
      1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
      www.salguod.net

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

Could also be due to the forum using vBulletin 3.6.8, which several releases ago. Best I can tell it was released in 2006 or 2007.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• Howard Prout
          Experienced
          • Feb 11 2009

It is must be due to a bug in IE9 as it is in the Beta stage. this update was made using IE8 after IE9 was uninstalled. IE9 isn't listed in the programs section of Control Panel, you have to go into Microsoft Updates on the left margin of the Programs page. If you ten scroll down the list, you will find IE9, highlight it and then hit the "Uninstall" button and you will be back to IE8 after restarting your computer.
          Last edited by Howard Prout; November 29, 2010, 07:59 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• Howard Prout
            Experienced
            • Feb 11 2009

A guru on a Vista forum advised me that the problem I was having with IE9 was caused by IE9 using newer standards and that the issue could have been resolved by using the "compatability view" option. Too late now, I'm back to IE8 and Firefox.

Comment

• YellowRose
              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Posting using IE9

It appears that the problem that Howard Prout ran into regarding posting on our Forum using IE9 has reared it's head again. Yesterday, we had an older member and a new member both tell me that they were not able to post anything to our Forum. They could not start a thread, or post, or respond to a post. They got the error message that "the text is to short by 10 characters" when they have far more than 10 characters typed into their post.

It does appear that IE9 is involved with this problem. It might be a conflict between it and the version of vBulletin (3.6.8) that we are running on this Forum. We are not running the current, latest version because our software guru's, if I understand this correctly, are concerned that if we update to the latest and greatest we might have problems.

Howard fixed his problem by going back to IE8 and Firefox, as I recall. I almost always run the Forum from Firefox and not IE. So if you are having problems not being able to post, try installing IE8 or download Firefox or one of the other browsers and see if that fixes the problem.

Both of our members who had this problem yesterday are running Windows 7 as their operating system. I am assuming they are also running IE9, but forgot to ask. As a result of the problems experienced today, one of our members has been able to figure out how to get around this problem. Here is what you can try.

In the black border on the Forum you will see User CP on the far left side. This is your access to your User ID and gives you the ability to change the settings your can use to view our Forum. Click on it and check the following.

Scroll down to User Options. You should see Control Panel and under that, Settings & Options. From there Go to Edit Options, and then scroll down to Miscellaneous Options. Look at Message Editor Interface. If it is set to Enhanced Interface-Full WYSIWYG Editing, change it to either Simple Text Box or the second option, Standard Editor - Extra Formatting Controls. The two people who could not post yesterday did that and both were able to post again.

If you have this problem, you might first try using a different browser, like Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome, Safari, etc.. If you still have the problem using a different browser then try checking and changing the settings as stated in the paragraph above. If you are having problems posting and these steps do not clear it, please let us know. BTW, I am using WinXP and IE8 and do not have this problem, as you can see. I am also using the Enhanced Interface-Full WYSIWYG Editing option. So far as I know, it is only those who are running Windows 7 with, I assume, IE9. See the other comments in other posts about this problem also.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• tp tbird
                Experienced
                • Dec 17 2007

Posting messages

I was the one that had the problems posting,I am using windows7 and IE9.After I could not post a message I contacted Ray and we tried a few things and it didn't work when I tried to post it kept saying that I need 10 more characters to post every time.I played around about a half a day and tried to post on another site VTCI and it worked so I went back to the Squarebird site and looked at the user options- miscellaneous options:change to basic editor-a simple text box.It was set before to enhanced interface-full WYSIWYG editing.After I changed it to the simple text box it worked.That was a easy fix without changing the IE,I know from the pass the more you start changing things the more that can be messed up because I can't remember what I did.I hope this helps anyone that has the same problem.
                Last edited by YellowRose; June 24, 2011, 07:55 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• Howard Prout
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 11 2009

Thanks for the tip - it solved my problem of posting with IE9.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

I use Windows 7 (64-bit) with the most recent Windows Update (refreshed as of today's 50+ downloads and upgrades).

I also use IE 9.

Somehow, I have not had a problem posting for the past year. I almost feel guilty for NOT having problems on this site.

My suggestion is, keep your Windows updated and delete your browser cookies and temporary internet files on a regular basis. Some temp files automatically delete themselves after an expiration date. Others keep stacking up in your hard drive. When full, your computer will act screwy and it will slow terribly.

To delete cookies and temp files in Internet Explorer:

* Open Internet Explorer (you're in it now)

* At the top, click on a tab or icon that says TOOLS

* Find OPTIONS or Internet Options and click on it

The first catagory is where you set your 'home page' for

browsing. The second catagory has a DELETE button for

your history and cookies.

* Click this DELETE button.

If you haven't done this for awhile, your computer may delete thousands of little files, which may take a couple minutes. Be patient and wait for it to finish. That's it. - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Thanks Ray for the Help! I'm using IE9 and did what you posted up here and now it works fine! I appreciate the help!!!

Thanks,
                      Paolo

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎